Airtrek Turbo - reactions please !

wardz4, Aug 26, 1:37am
Needing a sationwagon - but I sometimes tow a poptop caravan -quite light.
Sometime tow same across flat but wet grass.
Around 10k mark.
The turbo Airtrek seems to have plenty of horsepower. looked nice on Trademe (especially ones with twin sunroofs ! When I actually saw one in the flesh they were a bit smaller /shorter than expected.

Hadn't really considered the Mitsubishi, have been looking at other wagons -Audi A6, traditional Regulus / Terrano type diesels, even thought about a W8 Passat (lot of car for the foldies but maintence and fuel consumption spectres ! !)

Is this "Evo" type turbo motor reliable ! Parts availability ! Is any towing likely to cause something to get too hot (I know they have intercooler).
No offence to Evo owners intended !)

wardz4, Aug 26, 1:39am
Thhat should say need ing a stationwagon, of course. Forgot to mention I would be looking at the AWD version.

vtecintegra, Aug 26, 1:52am
I'd be more worried about the auto transmission if towing, even something quite lightweight.

johnf_456, Aug 26, 1:53am
If towing with automatics look into transmission coolers.

phillip.weston, Aug 26, 3:03am
the turbo only comes out in tiptronic. So long as the tiptronic is looked after it should prove to be reliable enough. Make sure it gets serviced when required and do fit an external cooler in tandem with the existing cooler in the bottom of the radiator. There was a guy in Chch who was putting out 300kW through the tiptronic transmission with little troubles - he did eventually blow it though.

The engine is a 'de-tuned' Evo 7ish motor, it has a smaller single scroll TD04 turbo instead of the Evo's larger twin scroll TD05, smaller injectors, small top mount intercooler etc. If anything it's more like the 97-02 shape RVR X3 Turbo engine - however the core block and head excluding the bolt ons like manifolds/computer etc will be the same as Evo4-8.

wardz4, Aug 26, 3:11am
Appreciate your expertise. It was actually the "Ralliart" red one that caught my eye - but $15 k seemed a little out of step with the others available ! !

vtecintegra, Aug 26, 3:26am
Yeah looks nice but that's expensive.

In your situation I'd be considering a Legnum VR4 - $10,000 buys a lot of fuel.

richardmayes, Aug 26, 3:34am
Since you said "reactions".

Around here they seem to belong to the sort of drivers who get right up your date in traffic. The sort that won't merge like a zip, and won't wave you in when you're struggling to get out of a side street. Just aggro cars for aggro people.

They are ugly pigs too. Taller and boxier than a car, but not quite a truck or an SUV. They have a beautiful looking dashboard though.

phillip.weston, Aug 26, 5:06am
May need a fair bit of that $10k for repair bills.

phillip.weston, Aug 26, 5:06am
To me you are describing the average Commodore or Falcon owner.

vtecintegra, Aug 26, 5:20am
So might the Airtrek.

phillip.weston, Aug 26, 5:25am
I haven't really heard of them having as many issues as the Legnum. No complex twin turbo V6 engine, no complex AYC rear diff, no complex multi-link suspension at the front etc. Am pretty sure the tiptronics in them are a bit stronger than the ones fitted to the Legnums.

wardz4, Aug 26, 5:43am
I like the shapeof the Honda Euro wagons - this might be an alternative - space -economy - reliability

richardmayes, Aug 26, 9:05am
And he's taken the hat-trick.

ema1, Aug 26, 11:15pm
Trifecta ha ha.

audi_s_ate, Aug 29, 4:36am
Real problem with honda's don't ya! Did one beat your commodore and you still upset over it! You even owned one! The build quality of ANY honda will best ANY commodore year for year. Ignorance must be bliss.

r15, Aug 29, 7:09am
i know of 2 people who have gotten rid of them mostly due to their horrific fuel economy. both turbo, both auto / tiprtonic,also their 4wd capability is shocking - on farm tracks we would have less trouble with traction in the 4wd caldina wagon than the airtrek . based on personal experience

_peas, Oct 8, 5:03pm
I would suggest that it is the average Nissan Patrol owner.One of the guys at work had one for a couple of years and loved it.Plenty of go and no majors at all.