Manual Subarus

awoftam, Aug 31, 9:39am
Brought a Forester brand new. It has been serviced every 6 months by Subaru and is in great nick. 2 years ago it made a funny noise; bearing had gone in the gear box. It was 12 months out of warrenty and Subaru paid $600-00 toward fixing it and I paid $400-00. 25,000kms later the same issue has occured. Subaru ony guarantee parts for 12 months. I somehow feel like they should come to the party; the service guy told me the issue shouldn't have happened again.its 5 years old! Friend had a manual and same thing happened. Any other experiences! I was looking at trading it before this happened and buying a new one but now not sure I want another.

franc123, Aug 31, 9:54am
Ask them how much it'll cost to trade it as is and they can fight with Subaru about who fits the bill, there is clearly a design fault, a lack of lubrication for some reason, a material fault on the part of the bearing manufacturer or else the bearing isn't strong enough for the amount of load it has to take. A gentle reminder of their obligations under the CGA wouldn't go amiss either if they aren't willing to address it, major vehicle components have to be fit for their purpose for a reasonable period of time.

awoftam, Aug 31, 10:09am
Thank you franc123! I was trying to work out what to say to them; you have helped a lot.

kevymtnz, Aug 31, 10:21am
its a subaru what do you expect a reliablity of a Toyota or nissan

hijacka, Aug 31, 10:36am
Bearing u say or bearing you have been told! What was this ''funny noise''! Was it like a whining noise that got louder the faster you go or was it a bang! noise that would randomly occur or why!

awoftam, Aug 31, 10:41am
Was a whining noise that got louder the faster I went.

hijacka, Aug 31, 10:42am
Do any towing with it!

mugenb20b, Aug 31, 10:42am
Long day!

awoftam, Aug 31, 10:46am
No, hasn't got a tow bar. Done 86000 kms and serviced by Subaru every 6 months. Heaviest thing it in it apart from me is my 35 kilo golden retriever.

morrisman1, Aug 31, 10:56am
Keep at them, get them to fix it and pay everything. Reason! Well its happened once, happened twice so clearly a design fault or a fault with the workmanship done the first time. Not your fault. You should be able to expect a car to last much longer than 5 years and 86000km, especially when serviced as per manufacturers recommendations. Don't give in, they will know it shouldn't have happened so you need to convince them that you also know that and are prepared to take it further (I'm referring to CGA and the media, like fair go) if they do not rectify the issue

awoftam, Aug 31, 10:59am
Yea, you are right. It will be about $1500-00 to fix I reckon and altho I can pay for it (ouch) it just doesn't sit right with me. It doesn't seem right, or fair. I will talk to them. No matter the cost it just should not have happened.

morrisman1, Aug 31, 11:07am
Don't lie, it was a whole 24 hours.

alltorque350, Aug 31, 7:38pm
I wonder if it has a dual mass flywheel and your problem is there. Some foresters of that vintage have them.

jinx317, Aug 31, 7:47pm
Genuine Subaru parts have a two year warranty, so if it is the same fault you should be covered, however if its something else, IE wheel bearing (quite common) its on you.

asa50, Aug 31, 8:17pm
Why not! Toyota own 16% of Subaru

psx_man, Aug 31, 8:25pm
I guess you don't know whats under the hood of the latest toyota. oh a subaru engine.

awoftam, Aug 31, 10:42pm
Really! They told me theyonly guaranteed parts for 12 months. Anyhow I shall talk the talk with them after I pick the car up; they want it for 2 days so I will discuss with them when I pick it up next Thursday, will be interesting to see what they say they have been pretty good from a customer service point of view over the years.

NZTools, Sep 1, 11:16pm
The repair is also subject to the consumer guarantees act. 12 moths would not be considered a reasonable amount of time for the repair to last