IPod/MP3 in an e39 5 series BMW

hawat, Aug 30, 8:53am
Is there a way to connect an iPod or MP3 to the stereo in e39 5 series. I know that there is a simple plug connection in the last e39's and all other 2002+ Beemers. I don't want to be able to control the iPod/MP3 from the steering wheel controls, just want to be able to play it. At the mom I have a million cd's that I have cut from iTunes and have to load them manually into the cd stacker and only 6 at any one time. Must be a better way.

kdcentralni, Aug 30, 8:57am
There is a way ask in the bimmerforums.co.nz they will tell you how has it got the stacker in the boot!

hawat, Aug 30, 8:59am
yep, stacker in the boot.

outbidyou2, Aug 30, 9:00am
WATCH OUT!

hawat, Aug 30, 9:03am
hahaha not stalker - stacker. My bad (fingers)

hawat, Aug 30, 9:09am
thanks kdcentralni, that website is gonna keep me reading for about 40 years I reckon. Good stuff. Should have used it before. Have already come across it but haven't joined in. Will do that now.

bex25388, Aug 30, 9:17am
Google E39 and E38 sites it a pretty common and the same mod for both cars and reasonable easy.

hawat, Aug 30, 10:23am
you're right there bex. Heaps of them. other interesting things too like how to install led angel eyes. Nice. I use the fog lights for daylight running lights because the parking lights aren't up to that. But using the fog lights like that is actually illegal. Nobody has said anything yet. But I'd prefer to do something about it before I get a ticket.

edangus, Aug 30, 10:26am
There is a bypass you can do. Plugged in via the cable you would use for the Stacker (Probably even some for sale on here)

smac, Aug 30, 10:29am
Where is it you have read/heard/seen that running with fogs is illegal!

hawat, Aug 30, 10:45am
As recent as today in the Herald. That column written by the lady who answers all the transport related letters. But I have heard it before somewhere else as well.

hawat, Aug 30, 11:00am
Excellent! Any instructions or handy hints! They would have to be 'Auto electrics for dummys'.

hawat, Aug 30, 11:20am
absolutely fantastic. I reckon even I could do something with one of those. The little box thing is on the pricey side but hell I'll look at both. Thanks heaps

hawat, Aug 30, 11:31am
The column is called 'Ask Phoebe' on page 7 of the Herald

incar., Aug 30, 1:40pm

hawat, Aug 30, 8:13pm
Thanks incar and everyone. Great assistance. Isn't tmmb wonderful!
Car is booked in for oil and filter change and tune up next week. Gonna have a quiet talk with Berger about fitting this stuff and the led angel eyes

smac, Aug 30, 8:54pm
Goodo. Was just wondering where you got it cause there's a LOT of "heard it in the pub" misinformation about on the topic.

WHat she's referring to is this: http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2004/0427/latest/DLM303648.html!search=ta_regulation_L_ac%40bc%40rc%40acur%40anif%40bcur%40rinf%40rnifan%40bn%40rn_resel_25_h&p=2

The issue of cause is that your average cop can't tell the difference between a fog lamp and any other kind of forward lamp. Even some cop cars run around with them on, certainly never heard of anyone getting fined for it.

saxman99, Aug 30, 11:44pm
I got told off ( no ticket or fine) the other day for running fog lamps, the cop said I could get a fine ($150 I think he said).

It was daylight, drizzling, poor visibility and I wasn't showing any other forward driving lamps so I thought it was OK, but apparently not.He reckoned specifically FOG only, end of.

hawat, Aug 31, 2:10am
ok thanks for that smac. But look at saxman's response below. Apparently getting a ticket is on the cards but if there's a telling off option for the first offense then I guess we're good for one pulling over before ticketing. I have been meaning to do something about it for ages so am now going to !