1999 Honda Odyssey

Page 1 / 2
ianalice1, Aug 29, 9:04am
Hi guys, so info please.
Sometime, in the next year, or so, be getting the cambelts, etc done.
Been thinking about a few small mods.
Anyone know if extractors off, say an Accord, would fit and maybe removing the catalytic converter!
Thanks for any advise,
Ian

a.woodrow, Aug 29, 9:07am
Just put a fart cannon on the back for heaps more horsepower. don't forget to cut the springs.

a.woodrow, Aug 29, 9:07am
The engine is sourced from accord so dare say the extractors will fit, I wouldn't hack out the cat though just leave it in.

ianalice1, Aug 29, 9:12am
I understand that cat converters only last about 100K, mines coming upto 200K, so may have to do something, no!

ianalice1, Aug 29, 9:12am
Nah, low enough now.

a.woodrow, Aug 29, 9:23am
Nope, they last until the collapse or get blocked often heaps more than 100k. I wouldn't replace or cut it out unless it was faulty

ianalice1, Aug 30, 3:05am
Thanks. Just got another, estimate, for doing the cambelts, water pump, etc.
$700-$800, seems a lot.
What yous think!

therafter1, Aug 30, 3:15am
Yous thinks it is probably around about right.

ianalice1, Aug 30, 6:35am
Seems a tad high, to me.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 30, 8:26am
Have you tried "The Garage" at Papamoa!
Brent's rates are very good but he is very insistent about doing jobs like that properly and with good quality parts. So even if his price is up there a bit you are getting something for your money. You won't find a more honest mechanic.

Brent did all my servicing when I was too busy running the business. He still does anything for me that I don't have equipment for (like transmission flushing etc).

therafter1, Aug 30, 8:38am
I think you will find it is pretty ball parkish, unless you have it done by a back yarder with the associated potential consequences and any potential redress in respect of any potential consequences.

To make matters worse, at that age and k's and if the vehicle is subjected to long loaded trips in the coming summer months then I would recommend that the radiator and any major hoses that are subjected to high heat loadings are replaced as well or the outlay in respect of the previous work may all be in vain as a consequence of an over heat.

So you can add another 4 or 5 hundred clams to the above guestimate . lol

ianalice1, Aug 30, 11:03pm
Hi ya thejazzpianoma. Yes Brent is one I've had an estimate of between $700 and $800. I spoke to a friend of ours, that runs a car yard, in Tauranga and she though around the $350 to $400 mark.
I'd prefer to do a proper job. both cambelts, waterpump, seals, etc.
So not sure what car yards do, to get it so cheap.
Mates rates or 2nd hand parts, maybe!

ianalice1, Aug 30, 11:06pm
therafter1 wrote:
I think you will find it is pretty ball parkish, unless you have it done by a back yarder with the associated potential consequences and any potential redress in respect of any potential consequences.

To make matters worse, at that age and k's and if the vehicle is subjected to long loaded trips in the coming summer months then I would recommend that the radiator and any major hoses that are subjected to high heat loadings are replaced as well or the outlay in respect of the previous work may all be in vain as a consequence of an over heat.
Used to have an old Corona, that went upto about 3/4 going up Kaimais pped way down, on other side.
Something to do with thermostat, I think.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 30, 11:52pm
If Brent has quoted that I would say its going to be very fair for the quality of job he will do.

Dealers do get jobs done cheap. They often get favourable rates to start with because of volume and some are happy to work vehicles in to suit a garages workload. Plus they often go for the cheapest option, non OEM parts and they don't go out of their way to replace more than is strictly necessary. At the end of they day they just have to be able to say the job has been done and have it last for a couple of years or so.

Your dealer friend is probably a very nice person but even nice dealers dotalk themselves into thinking that these less than thorough jobs are a good idea. As what's cost effective for them is not necessarily cost effective for you.

There are a lot of variables with a cambelt job. In an ideal world you do waterpump, coolant, seals, tensioners and on some cars other parts like thermostat's, balance belts and engine mount bolts while you are in there.

The bulk of the cost of the parts will be the other things not the belt and even the extra labour to do things like seals adds up. Even just re-using the coolant can make a noticeable saving yet its bound to be due for replacement anyway.

BTW, non-genuine parts are not necessarily bad in themselves. After all, OEM belts, tensioners etc are usually just re-branded third part ones anyway. However, the quality of aftermarket parts does vary, especially in respect to water pumps. So sticking to quality third party names is a good idea.

Working with someone like Brent is good because realistically when he gets in there he may well find an accessory belt, accessory tensioner or something that needs replacing too. (I usually do).

That is likely why he gave you a bit of a price range as opposed to something set in stone. Much better to do that with a trustworthy mechanic as its better to replace other worn items cost effectively while they are in there. You just want to be able to trust the mechanic to be genuine when they recommend these things and that's why I go to Brent.

Incidentally a good tip with mechanics in general is to ask them to keep the old parts for you. Then you can see for yourself what sort of condition any extra's they came across were in. Don't be afraid to ask them questions and the reasoning behind why they do things the way they do.

therafter1, Aug 31, 12:05am
Sounds more like blocked radiator I think.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 31, 12:07am
Could be but if it went below normal going down the other side the thermostat (which I would suggest might bestuck partly open) would at least be part of the problem.

therafter1, Aug 31, 12:12am
One key word there . ???thought???.

And the other way that they could get it done on the cheap is that they potentially put a lot of work thru the same business, and they only get the bare necessities replaced . i.e. belts only.

therafter1, Aug 31, 12:14am
Ooooops, should have read Jazz'z post first instead of parroting it lol . sounds like the sort of thing John would do lol

thejazzpianoma, Aug 31, 12:15am
Oh and ianalice,
If you go to Brent feel free to tell him you also have a VW, you were going to buy a Toyota but some local guy on the internet talked you into it and its the best thing since sliced bread. That always goes down a treat!

(Brent is a big Toyota fan and we like to wind each other up)

thejazzpianoma, Aug 31, 12:16am
You are forgiven, my long posts must be really tedious to read unless you are the interested original poster. and even then!

BTW, John is more akin to getting in before I post to herald my coming with something like "The Euro Salesman will be along shortly". I like to think of him as some sort of flag boy or preceding entourage.

therafter1, Aug 31, 12:19am
Agreed, but a stuck open thermostat isn??

therafter1, Aug 31, 12:21am
I was always intending to read it, but I responded to Ian??

thejazzpianoma, Aug 31, 12:22am
That's why I said partially open, you can get it both ways then!

However its more likely you are quite correct with it being a combination of both, especially as corrosion in a neglected system could easily upset both the thermostat and radiator.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 31, 12:23am
I usually try to resist winding him up but I did a little edit above for you. Will see how that goes down.

therafter1, Aug 31, 12:23am
That way he can be ???one of the boys??