What can cause a bent valve in the engine.

Page 2 / 2
cuda.340, Aug 28, 5:54am
extremely rare i'd say. the carbon would have to build up very fast to jam the exhaust valve open enough for it to contact the piston, the valve would be burnt first.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 28, 6:09am
I am scratching my head to remember because I have only known of the one, but I think the buildup was on the face of the valve and the piston not underneath. It just kept building up bending the valve more and more until it was noticeable.

martian101, Aug 28, 6:57am
thanks guys that has been much appraited (btw it's the hubby talking this time :) ). The mechanic has told us its 2.5k to get it repaired (new head set, valve grind and head plane). Are we getting a fair deal on this, as I priced up a 2nd hand engine for 1k, with 100k on it, but my mechanic said I'm better off getting the work done. thoughts, comments please :) ta

unbeatabull, Aug 28, 7:31am
Is it a V6 or 4 Cylinder!

2.5k is probably relatively fair if its a V6, bit more work on them to pull it all apart.

I'd also go about getting the cambelt, tensioners etc replaced while its all apart. Will cost you labour in the long run as it will all be apart anyway, and I can't see a Mitsi belt costing much more then $200.

I'm still curious to know what the cause of it was though, did the mechanic tell you! Or have I missed a couple of posts (only skim read through the thread)

kingfisher21, Aug 28, 7:45am
Ignition coil packs, replaced countless ones and give symptoms as you are describing.

fordcrzy, Aug 28, 7:53am
i would want a full leak down and compression test done before outlaying 2500 for a head job. as kongfisher said could be a coilpack

stevo2, Aug 28, 8:51am
or hydraulicing!

unbeatabull, Aug 28, 9:04am
Hydra-locking would affect all valves in that cylinder I would of thought. And probably would cause a little more damage then just a bent valve.

cowlover, Aug 28, 9:18am
$2500 sounds a lot to replace a valve or am I missing something!Even if it is a V6 only the one head has to come off so wouldnt have thought a great deal more labour involved.So would I be rigt to say 8hrs labour!If so Labour $800 Valve and gaskets say $400, Belt kit say $300 Other consumables say $100 so all up about $1600.Am I about right!

woody1946, Aug 28, 9:31am
My thoughts too, but was scared to say so. we had the same symptoms and it was actually ignition leads shorting as well .The prang you had is enough to break the core of the leads, ours was after the mechanic did a thermostat and knocked the leads in the process

msigg, Aug 28, 9:40am
Well running the lower octane will not bend a valve.

phillip.weston, Aug 28, 9:44am
2000 Dion will be 1800cc 4G93 or 2000cc 4G94 4cyl GDI engine.

evotime, Aug 28, 10:52am
One more possibility-Car crashed- air filter housing breaks said housing is replaced but a part of the plastic from it sits in the sticky intake, a week after the repair the engine finally warms enough to let the vacuume pull the plastic into the valve, that valve can't close and is bent by the piston. if it was a cam timing prob I'd expect multiple bent valves.
Easy to find out the mech could remove belt covers check cam timing if ok, cylinder leakage test to prove bent valve.
Theory, diagnosisthen prove the diagnosis.
Easy way to see who pays.

fordcrzy, Aug 29, 6:20am
Leak down test the freaken engine before pulling it apart

martian101, Aug 29, 11:05pm
evo time thanks for that.
mechanic has said BENT valves (think he said 2), def not burnt. and something about apiston.

he said it seems to be caused by a carbon build up (which supports jazz's posts), but has little faith in using a higher octane gas will prevent it.
we figure its worth a shot,because 2.5k is a lot to spend every 120,000k on a motor.
and its a 2000cc gdi engine.so im assuming 4 cyl.
not sure how we managed to drive it down there,or home when it happened (even little brother is amazed its still going!), but i have complete faith in our mechanic and what he has said.

luxy, Aug 30, 12:03am
I think that the belt is now running a tooth outas a result of the sudden stop when the car pranged which also bent the valve. seen it before. And I think that you will find that the belt is now frayed or damaged .

supernova2, Aug 30, 12:46am
I'm inclined to agree.If thats the case its an insurance job as part of the prang.Before you do anything else talk to your insurance coy.

tigra, Aug 30, 1:18am
Perhaps when it came to an immediate and sudden stop it overrevved!