2003 odyssey any good? Hungry? Bad box?

Page 2 / 2
franc123, Aug 19, 8:04am
Not to mention the trouble you have trying to get universal scan tools to communicate with any of that VAG crap. Our Hanatech just spits out a whole lot of binary codes and shit instead of an easily readable data stream. Even Kias and Hyundais have better diagnostic systems than those things. But you probably knew that already as the Amarok ad man says.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 19, 8:12am
LOL, its funny how threatened the Japanese import brigade get when its pointed out how inefficient and poorly featured their vehicles are.

countrypete, Aug 19, 8:16am
LOL, its funny how threatened the VW/Fiat guy gets when its pointed out how inefficient and poorly featured their vehicles are.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 19, 8:22am
Yeah but that never happens so its not a concern.

bigfatmat1, Aug 19, 9:01am
I shouldn't complain if it wasn't for VW, Audi, Mercedes sprinters, Fiat ducatos, a couple of guys in the w/shop would have to go.

richardmayes, Aug 20, 7:06pm
Just take care you don't confuse an old 2.3 litre Odyssey with a newer 2.4 litre Odyssey - they are not the same thing.

2.3 litre is the older H-series engine, (similar to a Honda Prelude) which has a cam belt and uses the same old 4-speed auto as the V6. This is the gearbox you hear all the stories about how it is just not strong enough for the engines it is fitted to.

2.4 litre is the newer K-series engine that started in the model Odyssey that has blue headlights. (this engine also used in the Euro Accord) which is a cam chain engine that uses a different 5-speed auto. I've never owned one but I've lurked on the Honda boy racer forum site for a long time and never heard anyone talking about problems with this transmission.

kazbanz, Aug 20, 7:49pm
RM -I agree there is a MASSIVEdifference between the 2.3 and 2.4 odditty. But the OP did specifically ask about the 2003 odyssey and the 2.4 diddn't come out untill 2004.

peacebird15, Aug 22, 11:05am
Stupid me, we are interested in the 2.4's not the 2.3, I saw some series 3 oddies with 2003 rego on them. So far the info is great and it seems that they arent grenades. Its great to have so many experienced guys willing to share there expertise here!

mugenb20b, Aug 23, 6:35am
Series 3 Odyssey! They are fantastic cars, don't give any problems as far as I'm aware, but head light bulb replacement can be expensive.

_frodo_, Aug 23, 8:30am
I had a 2003 which was the last of the 1999 shape with 2.3 f23 engine. It was a great car and we had the Absolute version which is the one to get. The update to RB series 3 in 2003 onwards is a great looking car. Again the Absolute is the one to get as it has more power and sporting look.