Lost Nissan Car Transponder Key

Page 1 / 2
mzthang1, Aug 20, 12:52am
I have rung IC Motors in Whangarei to inquire how much to replace a lost key and was told $663 + $150 for coding. Does anyone know any where else in Whangarei that is a little cheaper or if I have any other options.

Kids lost key almost a week ago and can't find it, and there was no spare.

bigfatmat1, Aug 20, 1:13am
Try your locksmiths quite often able to help! Try more than one if the first cant help not all do transponder keys! Especially in the lost case where its not as simple as cloning

nzfatie, Aug 20, 1:17am
Heaps of NZ companies selling these online, no need to pay Nissans rip-off prices.just search Nissan Car Transponder Key on Google NZ.

nzemale, Aug 20, 10:49am
IC are such a rip off!They would be buying those key transponders for nothing more than around $20 and probably only about $4 worth of parts in them. As for coding them to the ECU, thats just a matter of plugging in their diagnostic tool and loading the new key value into the ECu memory slot.
What 3-4 minutes work for $150 . haha

Use Google and have a look around.

unclejake, Aug 20, 12:06pm
Been there, done that, with a Nissan and the coding couldn't be avoided when I tried (three years ago - but I see locksmiths advertising alternatives now)

I got the remote Fob (if yours has a separated fob) from an Australian internet auction site and then I programmed that myself, but the actual key has a proximity chip in it that prevents the engine starting - and only Nissan could sort that out at the time.

Try harder to find the key and perhaps call your insurance company! Good luck

icemans1, Aug 20, 1:06pm
moral of the story - have a spare key

mzthang1, Aug 21, 3:50am
I have tried google and I have found a few NZ sites that claim to do coding etc. But they are in Auckland. How would I get the car down so they can read the code in the barrel! Now IC motors are saying $934.58 and then pay to get it towed there.

mzthang1, Aug 21, 3:51am
And yes Iceman will def get a spare key cut. I thought that cause I am paying the car of, the car dealers would have a spare at their office for repossession reasons but they don't.

soph001, Aug 21, 4:12am
Whangarei Mobile Locksmiths
5 Poto St
Whangarei
Workshop (09) 438 2431

And yes if you have contents insurance, car keys are sometimes defined as "contents", be worth a phone call ay.

cpnnz, Aug 21, 6:08am
What year and model is your car! can buy online from overseas pretty cheaply, then just up for coding when you get it here.

daryl14, Aug 21, 6:09am
Yeah then it arrives and you find there's no chip in it. Grrrr.

intrade, Aug 21, 6:36am
you can tape the transponder key-chip, to the steering column of a car so when you loose the key you can just cut another normal non transponder one . The car could be more easy stolen this way but it saves loads of money . car rental guys do this sometimes so they dont need 100 of expensive keys when clinets loose them. Other option is to send the engine computer to england to have the chip removed from the engine managment. cost is up to 600$ also to one off remove

nzemale, Aug 21, 6:50am
Why would you send the ecu to England!Its software, not a chip of any sort that stops it from operating.
From some of the ones Ive seen, the transponder part is a selectable option within the ecu. In other words you just turn off the part that asks for a valid transponder to allow the ecu to operate.

For something that costs probably not more that $20 I cannot see how businesses can justify their crazy asking prices.

merrigj, Aug 21, 7:06am
I have thought of doing this as I have no spare for my holden.Might have to give it ago.

hi-ling, Aug 21, 7:19am
Holden is quite cheap to replace transponder keys as long as you dont go thru the dealers. If you were down this way id do it for the cost of the key < $100 and a slab of beer. I have the setup to program transponders and remotes to most GM products.

merrigj, Aug 21, 8:25am
Exact Key Services in Albany do it for $173 + GST might give them a visit.

bigfatmat1, Aug 21, 9:15am
Your knowledge and experiance is clearly limited on this subject!

mzthang1, Aug 21, 9:19am
2000 Nissan Pulsar CJ-1

mzthang1, Aug 21, 9:21am

geoff_m, Aug 21, 10:36am
After my 2yo lost both sets of keys for my father's Lexus350, i bought a couple of blanks off ebay. Half the NZ price - NZ price was ~350, so your Nissan ones are robbery.

nzemale, Aug 21, 9:23pm
I guess I come from a background of electronic and engineering so I suppose that gives me no credibility. Why send an ecu to the UK! There is nothing at all special that cannot be done here if need be. You are clearly blinded by the technology and knowhow. Gee sending a German or Japanese electronic gadget to the UK to remove something.
My thoughts are that too much pub talk has influenced you somewhat. Unless you can tell us what actually these people do in the UK with the parts then your experience is clearly limited on the subject. But if you're blinded by the black magic of an ecu then bully for you.
Afterall - its only a computer.

cpnnz, Aug 21, 11:44pm
Does that key have a remote built in! or just key with solid black plastic top! Did you check that your car insurance does not cover lost keys!
Have a ggle search for 'Transponder Key Blank For Nissan Altima Maxima Altima Pathfinder w/Chip 4D-60' might possibly be what you are after, some risk I suppose, but might be a cheap option.

bigfatmat1, Aug 22, 2:15am
I was actually refering to your comment turn transponder off or on within a menu within a ecu.Not by your quoted comments sending to uk .I could go on to explain to you how the systems work for various makes or models if you like! And you are right you have no credibility unless you work with these systems. Just cause you work with electronics and are a engineer does not make you a expert on Immobilisers. If it was as easy turn on or off via diag plug dont you think we would all be doing this.

bigfatmat1, Aug 22, 2:27am
Don't quite know if you can read names properly these were not my comments. I wouldn't jump to assumptions of my knowledge on ecu's immobilisers or vehicle electrics/electronics

mzthang1, Aug 22, 9:33am
Totally forgot about insurance and gave them a call this avo. They cover up to $300 for keys with no excess to pay, but since its gonna cost $934 they will pay it and I pay the $300 excess. That sounds alot better for me than paying the full amount. Thanks everyone for they input into my situation. Appreciate it. Can always rely on the message boards for good kiwi know how.