Mitsy gurus ,mechanics ,ur thoughts

gmphil, Aug 22, 6:39am
Missus went check water yesdaybrings me rad cap its corroded inside bits missing im where rest so go look still in radiator managed get out with long nose pliers, it all corrodedbum all water left no sign antifreeze. So pop thermostat out ,it had it and replace both refill antifreeze notice pipe on inside of overflow tank missing so cant suck water back in replace that. its pressuring in pumpin water out takin to shop morrow for presure test.
Now this where need info ,advice , 5 aug2010 takin for wof by grandfather 85 year old was told about small oil leak we new bout under dissy is chariot 4 g93 1800 so oil galery and need headgasket changed to solve ,i told him dont worry as just drive shop in back basicly .wof place convinced him so he said yup . Found invoice today this how reads.

Checked and found the head gasket was blown removed the timing cover and timed motor disconected the inlet and exhaust. Removed the mounts etc and removed top cover . Rremoved the head and had the head tested and skimmed .cleaned the block face and assembled the head with new headgasket .fitted new inlet gasket and assembled the inlet and exhaust fitted new timing belt and rechecked timing .assembled all parts pulled off .filled with new coolant and ran motor .drained oil and filled new oil road test and rechecked ok keeped overnite and started in morn and tested ok.

Bill for timing belt inlet gasket,headgasket,oil,air filter,antifreeze head skim and test oh ten buck freight
Laubour $330
Parts $112.56
orders $263.56
Sub $706.12
Gst $88.27
Total $794.39

Car has dne 13,500 K since this was done two years ago ive pull top cam cover dusnt look like belt done still has old sticker top cam cover when done at 97000 now is at 188,000 job done 174 792 kms

Who rekon they should done waterpump did they do tensioner! Thermo should bein done head was off!

If head cracked rekon i can put on them!

a.woodrow, Aug 22, 6:42am
No, what would they have done that made the head crack 2 years later!

msigg, Aug 22, 6:53am
Sounds to me like nobodys had a look at it since the repair job, (which was cheap), if the radiator cap has corroded then, how long since it has been removed( time not km). I think thats your problem.

NZTools, Aug 22, 6:54am
did you replace the coolantin august 2011! if not, you havnt been maintaining your vehicle properly, so anything that happens is really your fault

kazbanz, Aug 22, 6:59am
OP what maintainence has the car had in the last two years!

gmphil, Aug 22, 7:00am
Correct me if wrong thought coolant lasted 20,000 kms like thermost rad cap so was due replace dus low ks every week and oil water check by 85 year old so when he see water in over flow bottle he think ok

NZTools, Aug 22, 7:02am
coolant may last 20,000kms or 2 years in a nice new CLEAN cooling system, however old cars with cooling systems full of rust and sediment should have their coolant flushed and change every 12 months

gmphil, Aug 22, 7:29am
Oil in filter
send the boy do do as easy job ive txt him he said did open rad cap was full i asked coolant he mayb cant remember but did check as asked by old fella

ladatrouble, Aug 22, 9:08am
This is the beginning of the problem - by not being able to suck water back it has allowed air to enter the system. That means oxygen - oxygen attacks damn near everything.so the inhibitor has gone, the coolant is now an electrolyte and the damage just keeps going.