Battle truck

Page 1 / 2
bmc460, Aug 19, 10:07am
any one know what make of truck was used in the movie made in alexandra. bit hard to tell with armour plating all over it and is it still alive or did they really crash it over a cliff.poor battle truck.

illusion_, Aug 19, 10:39am
Pacific

and yes they did

1ollie, Aug 19, 10:48am
Is this that old movie that the guy was being chased in the car by the truck! maybe and orange truck! Whats the name! I forget.

phlippy, Aug 19, 10:49am
think they called it warlords of the 21st century in the states.

phlippy, Aug 19, 10:51am
think youre after the film Duel!

bmc460, Aug 19, 10:58am
yeah that was duel. they used a peterbilt and a valiant. one of the three peterbilts they used is still going. it gets driven round to shows.

bmc460, Aug 19, 10:59am
thanks for that. did they pull it back out of the river you know

croco1, Aug 19, 1:03pm
They also used an early 70's LW924 Kenworth with a V12 Detroit Diesel in it for the Battle Truck movie, it was a logger when new and called the concorde because it was faster than any other truck on NZ roads at the time.

gunsmoke4, Aug 19, 7:50pm

sifty, Aug 19, 8:06pm
used to call the old ex MOW bedfords battletrucks.

Could get an awesome backfire out of them, over-run in third while flicking the key on and off and BOOOMMMM!

franc123, Aug 19, 8:23pm
If you look on youtube there is some road test footage of that old Pete being driven around a city somewhere, shot from inside the cab. From memory during the drive the driver didn't have issues with people either tailgating or cutting in front of him lol, and naturally includes a blast of the air horn.It's been through many hands in the last 40 years since the film was made, it was part of a private collection in Kentucky last I heard. Yes it is regularly exhibited alongside a red Valiant that is the same or similar to that used in the film.

illusion_, Aug 19, 9:18pm
no idea sorry, but I think they would have to

poppajn, Aug 19, 9:21pm
What a load of rubbish you talk. As already said it was a Pacific; Brian McGiness fron Alexandra Transport did the driveing and the remain,s of the truck are buried near Alexandra.

datoofairy, Aug 19, 9:22pm
My father retrieved it, along with a couple of other guys.
I remember watching the Battle Truck go over the cliff, and then a few days later watching my father and the other bring it all back up.
Dad got to keep some of the aluminium from the truck, which he later used to help make a new jet boat.
I actually have photo's of the truck, both before and after it went in the river. They in a box of old photo's. One day I'll drag them out, scan them and upload them if anyone wants to see them.

splinter67, Aug 19, 9:32pm
you might want to look at post #9

poppajn, Aug 19, 10:43pm
Agreed, but it was NOT the actual Battletruck.

vivz2, Aug 19, 11:02pm
We processed all the photo stills at the photo lab I worked in.had some huge amount of explosives in it , I remember the photographer telling us all about it

bmc460, Aug 20, 12:39am
yes i know a guy who drove them in the army, apparently you were pretty brave to ride on the back when he eas driving.

bmc460, Aug 20, 12:40am
be good to see photos thanks

saxman99, Aug 20, 12:49am

croco1, Aug 20, 1:53am
Well the owners of the KW say it was used in the movie, maybe he's getting confused, because I think it was used in the NZ movie Quiet Earth.

illusion_, Aug 20, 2:11am
You are correct

Compare this (taking note of the number plate)
http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_62683-Kenworth-T-800.html to the same truck here http://www.talkingtrucks.co.nz/concordreunion.htm

carclan, Aug 20, 6:28am
Remember seeing at the movies - pretty cool back then

carclan, Aug 20, 6:38am

albundy, Aug 20, 6:48am
I think I remember reading that the fabrication for the truck was done in Ashburton.