Alarm/immobiliser options and installers in Chch

rua69, Aug 18, 8:25am
My car was broken into the other night. Nothing taken (I don't leave anything of value to take in it anyway); expect they were casing it for a driveoff. Car break-ins and thefts have been a problem in our area lately.

Unfortunately, until we can sort out a fenced parking area on the property my car can only be parked on the street. It's a 90s Japanese model without built-in security, doors easily opened without a key. It's worth little on the market but a great deal to me as a reliable means of getting to work and around.

The steering wheel lock I use has proven a poor deterrent. I know they're short work for an experienced or determined thief to remove. Right now I feel a cheap, well-hidden immobiliser (perhaps even a simple relay and hidden switch affair) is my best value punt at keeping the car. Can anyone recommend an installer, the more mobile the better! All thoughts, suggestions, and recommendations on security options are welcome, too. Thanks!

granada, Aug 18, 8:36am
Connect a trip wire from the door handle to a sawn off shot gun, Works every time

rua69, Aug 18, 8:47am
Heh, bluddy thing would as likely take *me* out!

thewomble1, Aug 18, 10:07am
Chain it to the nearest lamp post.
Let the tyres down when you park.
Like MR Bean.take the steering wheel with you.

trdbzr, Aug 18, 10:22am
Keep the battery in your house, not in the car. Good luck to anyone trying to take the car without it.

motorboy2011, Aug 18, 10:38am
not true. my car was stolen from out the front of my house with no battery in it.

trdbzr, Aug 18, 10:42am
Did they tow it away! Yeah it is possible to still take it, but I doubt anyone is going to put in that sort of effort for a regular car.

casper35, Aug 18, 10:33pm
Just a small kill switch well hidden under the dash works.

motorboy2011, Aug 18, 10:52pm
We never established that but we assume so. Got the car back with slightly pushed in front bumper, so looks like they went up the ass of the car they towed with lol

motorboy2011, Aug 18, 10:55pm
if its of little value, id fit the cheapest alarm possible, not have flashing light on the dash and leave the doors unlocked.

rua69, Aug 19, 9:43am
Investigating cheap alarm options now. I didn't realize you could get an alarm fitted for less than $300.