Mechanics please. opinion requested

Page 1 / 3
tramore, Aug 14, 8:00pm
I need to purchase a car as my old one is going to cost too much to repair.Please may I ask your opinion on the following small cars that I am looking at.Great Wall Chery, Hyundai, Kia,toyota, Mitsi, honda.basicallyany small car.I am wanting to know what is a good brand to buy and what is NOT and what I should avoid.I want low fuel consumption, 4 - 5 door, automatic, below 100,000kms and something that will last for years hopefully without giving problems.Being a woman, I really haven't a clue and don't want to get a dud.I do intend to get a pre purchase check but as this will cost, don't want to take numerous cars to the mechanic!Your advice will be gratefully received.

sifty, Aug 14, 8:07pm
Not a mechanic, but I would cross the great wall and cherry off the list.
Nothing wrong with Hyundai, drove one as a rental recently and it compared favourably to the Toyota Corolla and Ford Focus I normally use.

thunderbolt, Aug 14, 8:18pm
Budget will be a big factor in your decision.

Recently went through this exercise to replace my mothers car, and ended up with a Toyota IST.
Ticked all the boxes and had a raised seat height to make entry/exit easier in her advanced years.
Any of the small Toyotas based on this platform will give good service if looked after, although they are a little bland.
Late model Mazda Demio and swift are popular in this bracket also.
Work out the budget, sit in a few to see how they feel and avoid the chinese tin cans.

motorboy2011, Aug 14, 8:28pm
if its nearing 100km and has a cam belt,ensure its done. you might be better off to get one with 120km rather than 80km if it means the belts been done.

thunderbolt, Aug 14, 8:31pm
For the average Kiwi driver, that 40k jump represents 3-4 yrs worth of motoring.
If the OP wants a long life from the vehicle, spending a few hundred dollars to replace belts, tensioner, water pump etc at the required interval should not be a reason to take car with higher KM.

kazbanz, Aug 14, 8:33pm
In a small car its very difficult to go wrong nowadays, with the exception ofcherry or great wall,
Id suggest heading out to a local dealer and just see what feels good to you then come back to us with the cars you like.
I'd give you a list but it would ber fairly long

thejazzpianoma, Aug 14, 8:51pm
While I agree you need to get the Chinese ones off your list, its worth mentioning that the condition/history and treatment of the particular vehicle is more important than the badge on the front with regard to reliability.

My advice is also not to use the AA or VTNZ for a pre purchase check, they are expensive and don't do a good job. Best place for a pre-purchase check is a good garage that sees plenty of the vehicle in question. Is usually cheaper too.

I am happy to suggest some makes and models but I would need an idea of your budget.

shelleigh, Aug 14, 9:21pm
Tramore without knowing how much you are looking at spending, I bought a 2012 Fiesta LX hatch in April and am rapt with it!
It's very comfortable on long trips, economical and has the 5 speed, dual clutch PowerShift auto so is very peppy evenwhen passing going up hill.
In the last school holidays, we zipped around Northland in a Hyundai i30 hatch and I was very impressed with that - if I hadn't already bought the Fiesta, I would have seriously considered buying an i30 hatch :)

motorboy2011, Aug 14, 10:09pm
few hundered! likely $500 to $1200, from the sound of the op she wants something that wont cost her any money after buying it. one with higher km with work already done vs lower km with no work done, the higher km one would fit the bill. of course she could try specifically find a car with a cam chain over the belt.

thunderbolt, Aug 14, 10:19pm
Then OP should be made aware that there is no such thing as a maintenence free car.
Most of the vehicles in this bracket would be closer to the lower end of the price bracket you have suggested for cambelt replacement.

dave653, Aug 14, 11:48pm
Whats the old car, why is it too dear to fix! Most of the cost is sucked up with the labour content. I'm in Whg too, just a thought.

tramore, Aug 15, 12:57am
Hi, it's a 1993 fordTELSTAR 2.0 GHIA S, automatic, 189,000km andthe tilt converter inside the automatic transmission is gone.cost $1000 to fix, they say.I believe the car is worth only about $2000.

tramore, Aug 15, 1:03am
Thanks, your offer is most appreciated.that's what we are doing at the moment.My husband favours a brand new Chery.we have a Great wall 4WD truck which we have had for 2 years now and he loves it.I think I want an automatic car rather than a manual and Chery's don't do that till next year.I need the car by the middle of next month. I have seen two other sorts of cars with 54 - 85000 km range for about the same price and year 2003 - 2005 so my husband says why buy something with mileage when you can get a brand new car for the same price.Our budget runs to about $12,000.

tramore, Aug 15, 1:05am
May I ask please what it is about the Great Wall and Chery that you don't like!

ralphdog1, Aug 15, 3:02am
Lack of any worthwhile quality.

kazbanz, Aug 15, 3:30am
In a few years time I'd say no worries. By then the quality control issues will be resolved.

bryshaw, Aug 15, 5:51am
Stay clear until the Chinese stop using asbestos in their parts. The Japs stopped using asbestos 20 years ago.

intrade, Aug 15, 5:18pm
suzuki alto swift , kia picanto (hiunday gets or newer ) not to ever buy is older hiunday and mitsubishisboth are mitsubish engines . automatic and econmy dont go togather well especially on low cc cars that are normally economical.

tramore, Aug 15, 8:42pm
What do you think of this one Toyota Vitz Body Kit 2000 listed on Trademe.Listing #: 501811493.
We live in Whangarei so is more difficult for us to check it out but opinions please!

leesil, Aug 15, 9:21pm
It's only 1000cc. If you've never driven a car with that small an engine, you need to give it a go before considering this car. Especially when the previous car was 2 litres. I don't think you'd enjoy it.
Give serious consideration to a 2005/06 Swift. I know heaps of people with them (including myself) I've only heard positive things about them.

scuba, Aug 15, 11:58pm
The asbestos is in engine gaskets or exhaust gaskets.will have absolutely no effect on her
or anyone else for that matter.

scuba, Aug 16, 12:03am
I would rather buy one with lower ks if it hasn't been done- look for a discount and get the job done properly myself- then you know its been done to a good level.
some sellers have no problem telling porkies or being "minimalists"

lol

scuba, Aug 16, 12:05am
true although I would suggest most would give better economy than her telstar.:P

tramore, Aug 16, 4:59am
You are absolutely right there!We were considering downsizing before the engine problem as fuel was getting rather expensive to fill!

kazbanz, Aug 16, 6:42am
First its 1000cc Utterly gutless second you will find its fitted with snow tyres. The concept is good but stick with at least the 1300cc version