RAV4 Seatbelt warning message

texastwo, Aug 16, 8:48pm
My 2001 has just started flashing the Passenger Seatbelt Warning light even when there is nobody in the seat. Light goes out when seatbelt is clicked in, so I need a "ghost passenger". Any ideas on an easy fix. Wondered if I unhooked the battery whether it would reset the sensors.
Also how do I tell if it has a cambelt or a timing chain.Its a 2 door 2wd 1.8 2001. CanI tell by the engine number!

pauloc, Aug 16, 9:01pm
It is a timing chain engine. Stupid question but do you have any weight at all on the seat,! As the sensor is very sensitive

texastwo, Aug 16, 9:27pm
Not stupid question at all. First thing we checked. No weight at all. Had somebody sit in the seat and then get out, warning light stayed on. Clicked belt in and light went out but came on again as soon as it was released. Moved seat back and forth with no difference. Would this be a WoF issue! Shouldnt think sobut you can never tell with bureaucratic WoF testers these days.

kazbanz, Aug 16, 10:05pm
First thing to do would be reach under the seat and feel for an unplugged wire. It may be as simple as that. If its not that then the "easiest" way to sort it out is to undo the four seat bolts (the ones that fix it to the floor) and tilt the seat backwards so you can see whats happening.I suspect a wire to the underseat sensor has broken or the plug is broken.
Its not a WOF issue -just annoying having that flashing light going.
Worst case if you dont want to fix it properly it is just two wires. Sitting on the seat either opens or closes the circuit so snip the wires and see if the light goes out -if not then join the wires together

texastwo, Aug 16, 10:53pm
\

Thanks kaz, will get "the old man" to do this at the weekend. LOL it came on last night driving home late and I freaked out as I wasnt sure what the light meant and drove really slowly and carefully home, listening for strange noises all the while. Vastly relieved when I was able to have the "L&M" check it for me and see what it was.

kazbanz, Aug 17, 8:57pm
OOPS--Im sorry the last bit was not the best advice I could give-Rather than cutting wires just pop the bulb out of the flashy light.

r15, Aug 17, 9:04pm
on toyota's the easiest way to disable a seatbelt warning light is just unplug the plug clipped up just under the seat in question.

however if it's a yellow sheathed cable you have found the air bag cable and need to find the other one

dont disassemble the dash. too hard to do without damage