Jeep Cherokee. What are the early 90 cherokee like looking at one for towing and a bit of off road action they seem quite cheap

00quattro00, Aug 15, 9:36am
What are the early 90 cherokee like! Looking at one for towing and a bit of off road action, they seem quite cheap, is that because they are shit!

a.woodrow, Aug 15, 9:44am
It's more because they are thirsty

haventrader, Aug 15, 9:50am
Oh you're opening a can of worms. They are great. I bought one a few years back for just the same reasons as you, and ended up using it for everything. Never broke down on me, always pulled me out of anything that bogged me down and was generally just good fun to drive. Yes it was thirsty, but name any 4.0l 6 cylinder 4x4 that is not. Keep it serviced, go over the cooling system regularly and it will last for years.

00quattro00, Aug 15, 9:55am
How thirsty are they, much worse than my old eb coon wagon!

a.woodrow, Aug 15, 9:56am
Somewhat worse

offrd1, Aug 15, 9:57am
They are very thirsty but are a bloody good 4x4 and great value for the money,the motors last for ever,just check the radiator [ they give problems ] and the crank sensor seem to crap out at about 160 to 170 k easy fix .DO NOT listen to some of the idiots that may reply.also parts are cheap.i have had many 4x4s the last was a very modified VX Cruiser,the Jeep so far has been the most reliable [ mine is a Wrangler ] and mine is used off road,i 4x4 with a lot of Cherokees they are one tuff 4x4 . Go for it and enjoy

haventrader, Aug 15, 9:59am
$30 a day did not get me very far! Worse when you're in mud or soft sand or towing. Open road was not bad though.

offrd1, Aug 15, 10:03am
LOL the price you pay for fun.been out in the Wrangler all day and yes sure used a bit of fuel [ won't tell you how much ] but who cares.got other vehicles for day to day use.lol.

00quattro00, Aug 15, 10:24am
Hmm, does anyone have actual fuel consumption figures! I was also looking at an old vx cruiser with the 4.2 turbo diesel but they are kinda pricey, and there doesnt seem to be many turbo patrols/safari

chris_051, Aug 15, 10:43am
Yes mine would return 10.5 l/100km a trip at 90kmh. Be aware that is best figure and the fuel will skyrocket with a heavy foot or under load, off road etc. For what you pay for them you can't go wrong, they are pretty much bullet proof and name one 4wd that doesn't have lockers that will go more places maybe the wrangler but that will be it. Plenty of 2nd hand parts around or buy out of the states.you will have a few with no idea that will tell you to stay away but have no real experience with them. I have picked up a couple cheap and raped them off road and used them as a daily and was never left stranded.