Unauthorised repairs - (to my chainsaw-not car)

Page 2 / 4
mrfxit, Aug 11, 5:59am
LOL of course

noswalg, Aug 11, 7:41am
$69 for repairs to a $179 chainsaw is pretty steep, But with chainsaws you get what you pay for I'm sorry to say. I wouldn't expect a $179 saw to last more than a day after what I'd put it through 8 )

bitsy_boffin, Aug 11, 8:06am
Hmmm.

I'm in 2 minds on this one.

On the one hand, the Consumer Guarantees Act protects you if there is a fault with the chainsaw after only 2 hours, a chain saw should last more than 2 hours without a fault.

On the other hand, it sounds like they didn't find a fault, and that it may have been "user error" (bad fuel mix maybe).In which case charging for the time is fair enough, and $69 for the time doesn't seem far from what you'd expect.

969pnz, Aug 11, 8:29am
Many new saws have issues with metal filings, etc in the system from new. This is also directly related to the quality or otherwise of the saw. Todays regular fuel has a very short shelf life before going stale,and this also can be affected by storage conditions; in direct sunlight,etc. Belky,if you want to see for yourself the results of short shelf life on stored fuel,go for a ride with a rural fuel delivery contractor and get a whiff of really stale fuel in overhead tanks. However,for such a tiny bit extra,why not just buy premium fuel with much longer shelf life and energy .Another trick is to run fuel out when finished

bellky, Aug 13, 8:02pm
You have no clue Mr "fuel will go stale if more than 2 months old" lol. Are you sure you didn't accidentally get a wiff of the fumes.

gunsmoke4, Aug 13, 8:14pm
"clean fuel and oil out of tanks" maybe got them mixed up and put oil in the fuel tank! Have to clean lines out, that could easily cost $69. wont matter if a $10 saw or a $3000 still cost the same and both useless if you didn't clean it.

flat_white_ltd, Aug 13, 8:31pm
hmmm. spot the difference

bellky, Aug 13, 8:39pm
It doesn't say exactly that now does it. And I didn't say exactly that either.

So, credibility and impact of your post = zero. About as hard hitting as a long flat decaff sugarless soy.

flat_white_ltd, Aug 13, 8:47pm
keyboard warriors.
such an entertaining breed.

bellky, Aug 13, 8:51pm
hmmm. spot the difference:

"keyboard warriors.
such an entertaining breed" and

"The message board is provided for the enjoyment of the ENTIRE Trade Me community"

Entertaining = enjoyment. Great argument you've got going there.

flat_white_ltd, Aug 13, 8:52pm
go hard dude.

bellky, Aug 13, 8:54pm
What's with the little devil laughing head icon - does that represent you. I feel sorry for you if it does.

flat_white_ltd, Aug 13, 9:03pm
belky = must always have last word.
go hard, dude. see if you can resist the urge.

bellky, Aug 13, 9:07pm
bellky with two ls thanks.

jmma, Aug 13, 9:32pm
Fishing early this morning, girlfriend (o:

bellky, Aug 13, 9:42pm
I was just pointing this out jmma. Fuel does not go stale after 2 months. Not even 6 months or a year.

jmma, Aug 13, 9:48pm
My experience differs from yours then, I'll stick to my opinion, thanks (o:

opos, Aug 13, 9:49pm
breath

jmma, Aug 13, 10:13pm

bellky, Aug 13, 11:09pm
What did it^ say! If it doesn't say petrol is sweet for at least 6 months or more, it's wrong.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 13, 11:43pm
Without adding to the nonsense above.
This is a serious issue as using old fuel in a small engine can lead to catastrophic failure. I have seen the melted pistons that a local Stihl dealerkeeps as souvenirs from this happening for myself.

Sometimes you will get away with a bit longer but its just not worth the risk given the consequences.

From the link above they are saying 3 weeks is maximum storage in equipment fuel tanks. 6 months is maximum in a sealed fuel container.

Cease to follow that at your own peril.

bellky, Aug 13, 11:46pm
^ "Cease to follow that at your own peril."

Complete and utter rubbish.

floscey, Aug 14, 12:11am
they keep those next to the ones that melted due to leaking inlet/clamp and call it a fuel fault.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 14, 12:13am
Nope, the owner is a good friend and I know the workshop guy's there really well. It really happens.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 14, 12:15am
Glad you know so much more than the people who actually make the fuel. Your annoying trolling has now transcended in to dangerous nonsense that is likely to cause someone to ruin their expensive equipment.

Not cool.