Paying rego at the pump

Page 3 / 3
splinter67, Aug 11, 5:54am
Like it

carclan, Aug 11, 6:44am
I agree, we already get dicked for road tax when filling up a boat - where will it stop.

gammelvind, Aug 11, 7:26am
I kind of like the idea, having a camper that only gets occasional use, keep putting it one hold but then want to use it before the three month period ends.
Also a boaty here, but the amount of gas used there minimal. Guess the pros could have a rebate facility.

flybye_in_a_rx7, Aug 11, 8:37am
i guess so, as long as it has a wof

cowlover, Aug 11, 9:36am
Excellent idea.My lawnmower/chainsaw/weedeateruses about 10lts a year.My car does about 8l/100km and travels about 15,000km a year so about 1,200ltrs.So say rego is now $300 therefore about $0.25 per ltr.On the other hand my ute does about 1,000km per year at say 10l/100 so in that case I would be saving about $275 per year at the rate of $0.25 per ltr.If we can believe the stories about the % of unrego'd cars being something like 80% in some areas there is a potential for astronomical gains from the govts side of things so I would say about $0.05 per liter would more than equal what is being paid now.There have been posts on here recently about how much you can save by simply not bothering to register.At $0.05 I would still be saving about $240pa for the car and $295 for the ute.As for the boat people dont they have accidents and don't their trailers use the roads.How much gas would an average boat owner use per year!It's like evrything if you can afford a toy you can either afford to use it or you don't.

pollymay, Aug 11, 10:35am
I would agree only IF they could make a fair rebate system that doesn't get ripped off.

But it won't happen so eh. My racecar, lawnmowers, tractors, farmbike, chainsaws, mulcher, boats etc don't run on fairy magic.They use petrol, can 100% guarantee you will get screwed moving to a new system because simply you are dealing with bean counters and sharp business types that treat it less like a successful/better/more efficient system and more like a way to make extra gains somehow. Say one thing do another kind of thing, everyone agrees it's a good way to go by just adding 20 cents of what have you then next minute it's and extra dollar, everyone outcries so they drop it to 80 cent then everyone agrees that's better.

Like I said will get 100% rooted on the deal, it just always turns out that way.

franc123, Aug 11, 9:26pm
Bring it on, this silly practice of mailing forms out to everybody and mucking about with labels and exemptions and queuing in post shops and testing stations should have been dumped years ago, it costs the taxpayer stupid amounts in money and time, wastes resources, simply isn't necessary and sure is unfair to multiple vehicle owners and the likes of retirees who do low kms each year.Boat and chainsaw and mower and jetski and other outdoor power equipment operators are ACC claimants too so stop moaning.2 yearly WOF's for under 6yo's and 1 year for everything else with better enforcement measures put in place. If it encourages people to think more about their fuel use and pay better attention to maintenance is that a bad thing!

supernova2, Aug 11, 10:00pm
Not so sure about the 1yr for what is really the average joes family car.A lot can go wrong in 15-20,000k.

How about a basic (tyres & brakes & suspension) at 6mths and a full check at 12!

think it should be an impound, and pink sticker,if the WOF is more than a month out.That gets past the oops didn 't realise it expired last week/yesterday (which is quite easy to do) but will nail the dude who either can't be bothered or knows its a fail.

Are there any stats on what % of fines for no rego are ever paid!Maybe vehicle fines should be reported on a site similar to the PPSR and linked to the vehicle.Could be a totally automated computer system and would cost b all to do and perhaps once unpaid per vehicle gets to $1,000 its noted for impound if it is caught again.

The type of retard who gets vehivle related infringements IMHO will never pay unless forced.He wont obey the law so why would he pay!

casper35, Aug 12, 5:53am
Yes i agree

franc123, Aug 12, 7:00am
The easiest solution to detect any possible current or future safety concerns with vehicles is to get them serviced correctly and on time, its all part of being a responsible owner, a flick through virtually any manufacturers service schedule details these things, if followed correctly most of the items that would normally be checked at WOF are there. Thats if anyone in this country has ever bothered to read one. Checks of things like lights and tyres should be carried out regularly by operators themselves, its not rocket science. I don't know what is wrong with people these days that they need nanny state and its reps to tell them what to do and when to do it. Nowhere else in the world requires compulsory safety checks to be carried out as regularly as they are here, its all a bit pathetic frankly.

austingtir, Aug 12, 7:12am
Away in fairyland i see.You honestly think alot of owners have any idea even how to check the oil let alone know if anything is dangerously wrong with their car!

You realise if they go ahead with this a yearly wof will end up costing three to five times as much as it does now!Then the obvious addition to the already outrageous cost of fuel + the cost for the station to implement the registration at the pump. people dont realise that this is just moving the problem.People keep saying that the registration paper trail is going to disappear and this is going to lower costs. what a load of rubbish.

franc123, Aug 12, 7:18am
Please explain! Even at 15c/l an average motorist doing 12-15k a year is not going to be paying more in license charges.Come up with a better idea if you think that one is so crap.

next-to-normal, Aug 12, 1:06pm
and diesel ruc for cars and light vehicles as well,but if rego was stopped as such, those poor council wardens would miss out on all that free money they gouge out of the poor, i read in the gisborne herald, that only 16% of the 500,000 they got in fines came from parking the rest was from no wof and rego,

cowlover, Aug 13, 8:39am
Too true but the problem in this country is the number of dim bulbs and dropkicks that just dont care about anything so unfortunately we have to have nanny state to kick their bums.Just look at the present BS over drink prices and binge drinking.Where's the problem = dim bulbs and drop kicks.

elect70, Aug 14, 3:31am
^^ how do theytest brakes ,do full underbody inspection , on side of the road !

franc123, Aug 14, 6:21am
They don't, you get ordered to get an inspection from an inspection centre and a new roadworthy cert.

pebbles61, Aug 14, 7:24am
^^^ this. But then again since I'm already being ripped off with ACC for my bike.

On that note ACC should be paid for km's used, like road user charges for diesels.