Paying rego at the pump

Page 1 / 3
casper35, Aug 10, 8:50pm
at last a good idea in todaysherald. Rego included in the pump prices about time,no more unreg cars on the road.

splinter67, Aug 10, 8:53pm
Dose that mean my chainsaw will be able to drive on the road or my lawnmower

fred-a, Aug 10, 8:54pm
At first I thought it seemed crazy, but after reading the whole article makes sense to me.

casper35, Aug 10, 8:56pm
Yes i cant see any bad points in it you use your car you pay.Very fair.

lookoutas, Aug 10, 9:02pm
It would increase the value of pinching petrol!
Can't be negative tho. Work it out.
Avg person doing 20K/year, divided into say $300 = 1.5 cents/KM.
@ 10KM/ltr = 15cents extra/ltr at the pump.

casper35, Aug 10, 9:19pm
It would only be cheaper if you didnt use your car a lot which is fair.We have to cars one gets used a lot for general running around the other one sits in the garage and only gets used on trips. So on the current system you are paying the same price for a car you hardly use. Which makes the new system a lot fairer.

cuda.340, Aug 10, 9:22pm
so your cars' rego'd but don't have a wof & is a danger to other motorists! hows that going to work!

lookoutas, Aug 10, 9:25pm
That'd give the cops something positive to do.

splinter67, Aug 10, 9:28pm
I like the bit where they say we should only get wofs for new cars every 2 years surely this is a joke most motorists only get repairs done when the wof people tell them to

berg, Aug 10, 9:33pm
Would be great for us as only one of our vehicles (2 big bikes and 2 cars) does lots of kms. The other 3 do bugger all. I can also see sence in the WOF review but agree it may end up with some issues regarding unserviced vehicles. Spoke to fella from VTNZ during the week and they are expecting yearly WOFs that will end up costing $90-$100.

lordv81, Aug 10, 9:39pm
The cops will double the no WOF fine to compensate and say the new fine price will be for safety reasons.Not the fact that the loss of no rego fines will have anything to do with it.
i think rego at the pump would be good but I think the government would lose out as far as people who own more than one or two cars wont be paying the rego.I know one guy who has 8 or 9 cars and only one or two are on resto while the others are all up to date wof and regoed.im sure he will enjoy pay at the pump.

74nova, Aug 10, 9:39pm
How does the rego/wof system work in the States! Any one know!

casper35, Aug 10, 9:42pm
In the States they don't have rego & wof they just have to get their emmissions done every two years. If your emmissions don't meet the requirement they are off the road.

turton, Aug 10, 9:52pm
very good idea. good for us bikers who are currently paying $550+ per year for the occasional weekend ride.

casper35, Aug 10, 9:54pm
very true.

nobucks, Aug 10, 10:06pm
No WOFs in Perth with no reg stickers or cards either .

vtecintegra, Aug 10, 10:50pm
The fairest system would be RUCs for all vehicles with an included ACC component. They'd vary as per the risk of that vehicle class (so motorcycles for example would pay more per km)

Unfortunately there are way too many administrative issues with that type of system, and the potential for cheating it so just putting everything on fuel seems like a decent compromise, at least for light vehicles.

clark20, Aug 10, 11:03pm
Why should I pay more because my car uses more gas!

casper35, Aug 10, 11:36pm
Dont use it then

granada, Aug 10, 11:46pm
And the system works fine.Rego is paid online and its up to the owner to keep the vehicle safe. If you are pulled over you will get a yellow sticker and the vehicle will need to be inspected.

ntalke, Aug 11, 12:02am
Not a very well thought out article as running your mower/rideon,any non-reged farm vehicles will have in effect another Tax applied to them

Worst of all seem we are a boat loving nation ,boy will you get taxed again as boat owners are already paying a road tax component every time they fill their boats

This looks like a type of Tax the Greens would impose

flat_white_ltd, Aug 11, 12:14am
Fair points all.
-except for "Greens" tax- I think they'd rather petrol wasn't sold, period.

.But as for boats, .separate issue, I know, -but many have been saying for years that boats should be registered. maybe a partial solution in there, maybe !
( I'm a boatie myself, . so don't jump all over me on that
.).

peja, Aug 11, 12:26am
This is a far better system than what we have currently, and should be applied across the board to diesel and petrol. Chainsaws and lawnmowers and such mostly do not use significant amounts of gas except in commercial applications, in which case the users could apply for a rebate (maybe per 100 litres or similar), ditto for other non road users. As for boats probably registering them is a good idea as flat_white_ltd points out.

With something like this we'd get far better compliance, and then it would be fairer to have far more stringent enforcement of no ref/wof than we do now. Make the actual rego sticker itself cost only $20, with the rest loaded onto fuel, but make the no rego fine a $1000 or forfeit of vehicle. That would clean up the unregoed vehicle problem in short order

gunhand, Aug 11, 12:29am
Aand licence the drivers, or whatever you call steering a boat.

cuda.340, Aug 11, 12:32am
so VTNZ will go along with low cert stuff, so run what ya like. twin turbo V8 in your carolla on stock brakes n suspension hmmmmm!