Complete electrical failure!

patrick.., Aug 12, 12:41am
Was driving my hilux up the driveway today and it stopped and now has no power anywhere iv checked all fuses and earths and leads and the plugs i can find i took the fuse box off under the bonnet and checked if any wires were off under there and everything is clean and tidy so im really stuck now as to what it is, its like it has no battery in it at all but iv tried a different battery and still the same, any help please!

dent, Aug 12, 12:43am
Start at the start. Check the earth wire from the battery to the body for good connections. Then check the positive terminals are good and follow the battery wires. Check all connections, and fuses as you go.

ralphdog1, Aug 12, 12:43am
1986!
2012!
Petrol!
Diesel!
Red!
Green!

motorboy2011, Aug 12, 12:44am
my car recently had similar fault. on the positive terminal were 2 plugs and one meaty cable. one of the plugs was corroded inside the actual plug

patrick.., Aug 12, 12:45am
exactly the same as the one in my auction but with its ass cut off and a deck on it, its a surf 89 2lt diesel engine

tmenz, Aug 12, 12:49am
Do you have a main fuse in a plastic 'box' right beside the battery!

patrick.., Aug 12, 12:54am
theres only small fuses in the box by the battery,iv been asked about the fusible link but to be honest i dont know what it is or where it is, a guy said under the fuse box but theres nothing there

patrick.., Aug 12, 1:16am
theres 4 bigger fuses in there "am1" "am2" "glow" "alt" the glow one was blown so i grabbed one from my other truck but no change, the am1 and am2 are 30amp and 40 amp and glow and alt are 80amp.

tmenz, Aug 12, 1:35am
If an 80 amp fuse has blown, then it sure will have found any weaknesses in the battery wiring and connections!
Time to get a multimeter on to it - that will quickly find the faulty connection!
Best guess is the main negative earth connection to the chassis - it may look OK superficially but be corroded underneath.

patrick.., Aug 12, 1:45am
Ok, Thanks very much

elect70, Aug 12, 1:50am
Test ifpower comming intofuse box,fuseable link may look likeheavy piece of wire inmain lead .

patrick.., Aug 12, 2:31am
No power in fuse box anywhere, but still not too sure on what the fusible link is sorry, (bit dumb) haha

tmenz, Aug 12, 11:26am
There is a mention on Google of the fusible link being in the NEGATIVE lead from the battery to the chassis on '86 Hiluxes! Maybe your model has one there too!