Mechanics-morality and ethics

supernova2, Aug 11, 2:44am
It all comes down to $.If the customer only wants a ptach presumably thats what the tradie will do.I've never actually seen a major oil leak but have seen lots of weeps.Surely a major leak means something is broken rather than worn.

mrfxit, Aug 11, 2:55am
Who would have though .
2 "supers" in the thread already

smac, Aug 11, 2:56am
Perhaps your colleague was having a moan about the price of a proper fix, so the mechanic was offering other options. Nobody really knows how that conversation went other than the two of them.

mrfxit, Aug 11, 2:56am
I agree with Don

clark20, Aug 11, 2:57am
Depends, do you want your mechanic to just fix your car , or offer advice to the best solution for YOU. It's your decision what to do next, not his.

Superman in disguise!

bellky, Aug 11, 3:03am
Mechanics (as far as I know) don't belong to a professional organisation that has a binding Code of Ethics. There you have it.

There will be good and bad Mechanics, but remember they are not Doctors or Accountants.

smac, Aug 11, 3:06am
Well like I said, nobody else knows how the conversation went, but if your colleague is bleating on "I can't afford it I can't afford it what can I do what can I do" maybe the guy felt he had to offer something.

What's the point of the question, anyway! The guy said it. So ummmm.huh. How 'bout that. Great weather today ain't it!

mrfxit, Aug 11, 3:08am
Last name Kent!

mrfxit, Aug 11, 3:09am
Both with the proviso that both are fully explained

edangus, Aug 11, 3:19am
My thoughts!Buyer beware.

If only we could enforce the ethics of the Motor industry onto the Real Estate industry.

Everyone knows Turners = Potential POS. Dealers dump them there, why shouldn't private people too!

mrfxit, Aug 11, 3:21am
I don't mind buying lemon cars as long as I am paying lemon prices

edangus, Aug 11, 3:28am
Tui!

bellky, Aug 11, 3:29am
So you trust Real Estate agents then.

(I mean ones that aren't your personal and trusted friends.)

msigg, Aug 11, 4:26am
Some people who can fix them would rather buy them cheap from an auction(and they are cheap and risk) and fix the car themselves because their labour is free. Way togo.

budgel, Aug 11, 5:16am
You are comparing apples to oranges!

zoltec45, Aug 11, 5:22am
Cant win as a mechanic, you tell the customer straight up whats the go with the car and still get cut down on a forum where you have no option to reply.
Nice one OP.

elect70, Aug 11, 5:23am
If its what the customer wants fine .No point in spending$$$ if flogging it off

supertech1, Aug 11, 6:05am
The age old argument of morals and ethics.
that's 3 now!

smac, Aug 11, 6:06am
The only actual question was "Your thoughts!", so I've answered.

kaituna, Aug 11, 6:29am
Sounds to me that the mechanic does have morals and ethics. It just costs $1400 for them.

icemans1, Aug 11, 6:42am
i had a corona once that had a crack in the block just below the water pump. it was a case of replacing the engine or using some stop leak. i opted for stop leak, then i took the car back to the dealer i bought it from and traded it in