Peugeot, Toyota or Nissan?

huggy5, Sep 1, 11:26pm
I need some help choosing a new car, I want a station wagon (for mydog - sad as that sounds).I'm thinking the Peugeot 206, Toyota Fielder or the Nissan Wingroad.Does anyone have any advice on the pros and cons!I would like it to be automatic and I want the smaller ones (like the 1500cc version, for cheaper fuel costs).I also want something that doesn't have unusual hidden costs (like requiring a very expensive oil or tyres).
I've had a look at some threads about these cars and to be honest no-one seems hugely positive about them, but I can't afford a really good car so I need to settle for something.

sterid01, Sep 1, 11:30pm
I have driven nissans for a long time now and im sick and tired of having nothing to fix , maybe the odd oil change now and then

vtecintegra, Sep 1, 11:31pm
I don't think a 1500cc Corolla is going to be any cheaper to run than an 1800cc one in the real world but you can definitely save a bit of fuel by choosing a manual.

huggy5, Sep 1, 11:33pm
Uugh, dammit!I am very used to my automatic now that I've had one for a while (lazy).But I could go for a manual if it's cheaper, thanks for that!

vtecintegra, Sep 1, 11:35pm
Its not that automatics in general are bad, just those models have comparatively outdated four speeds which cause economy to suffer a bit (well I think the Wingroads have CVTs too in some versions but only the bigger engined ones)

msigg, Sep 2, 2:16am
you won't notice any difference in fuel consumption buy driving an auto over a manual. Its how you drive that makes the biggest difference. Just don't go taking off too fast, getting that weight moving from a stand still is where the fuel is used, then all of a sudden slam on the brakes at the next set of light 2 km away. Do it all over again. That is where the fuel use is.

oemaudio, Sep 2, 2:48am
Have personally sold 100s of Fielders and provided you buy a tidy serviced example,all you will think about is where you're going not about the car.

kazbanz, Sep 2, 3:53am
Huggy 5 The lack of interest in the 1500 wingroad and the 1500 feilder is that they are just boringly reliable vehicles.
Very little if anythinggoes wrong.
Id suggest you check though on the government fuel economy ratings on the 1800cc version of both as theres not a huge difference in economy between them.-or IMO far from enough to affect my buying decision.
Yes the Feilder requires more expensive oil. But putting that into prospective its an extra $20 TOTAL in cost every 10000km.
If its a car for your dog though I wouldn't buy either.
The dog show people use Toyota Funcargo's because they have a big boxy rear that takes a couple of dog cages

flack88, Sep 2, 8:24am
Having driven a Peugeot 206 with,i think the 1400 auto,it was a gutless pos,and the interior was falling apart,not many of the electrics worked,fairly strong body though,mite be alrite with the 160hp ,6speed manual version!

vtecintegra, Sep 2, 10:15am
Yes how you drive makes a big difference but you will definitely notice the difference between an auto and manual in these models as far as fuel consumption goes - the lack of ratios really hurts.

huggy5, Sep 2, 10:30am
Thanks everyone for your comments and advice. I didn't know that an 1800 would be similar in fuel costs to the 1500, I might look at the bigger one.And I'll try to reconcile myself to a manual but I just can't make the leap to a FunCargo (I originally thought I could, but they are just too square).And pretty as the Peugeot is, I might stick to the Toyota or the Nissan if they are known as reliable
Hopefully I can narrow things down better after a test drive.

morrisman1, Sep 2, 11:05am
In some cases a large v6 can be every bit as economical as a 2L 4 cylinder. Its all in the tune and the engine's powerband.

kazbanz, Sep 2, 8:36pm
If you just cand "do" the funcargo thing have a look at its replacement the toyota Ructus.-Its not as good as the funcargo practicality wise but it is a bit less boxy

oemaudio, Sep 2, 8:52pm
The Ractis is very practical, Where does it differ in terms of lack of practicality!

wiseone58, Sep 3, 5:48am
How da heck did the japanese come up with a name like Ructus!

kazbanz, Sep 3, 5:57am
Ok -first off the door opens up rather than across. Makes big stuff a bit harder to get in.
The seat folding and the shape of the cabin doesn't give as much room inside.
dont get me wrong I like the ructus-The funcargo is just that bit better practically speaking.
Actually money where mouth is. I picked up a replacement freezer with a ructus today.
1000mm long 650 wide and 900 high and it fitted in a ructus-but it was a pain getting it past the door.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 3, 6:03am
And you should know. given you can spell it correctly and everything!

oemaudio, Sep 3, 7:24am
I actually prefer the door opening up that way.Keeps the rain off your head! Each to their own though.Just interested as I actually bought one for myself to use. I found the seat configuration superior to just about everything else. It is very good on fuel and has cruise control. Wouldn't buy a 1300 though, don't see the point.
We put a washing machine in one today no problems.

kazbanz, Sep 3, 8:49am
Im not for a second saying they aint a neat car because they are
The funcargo is just a bit more practical.
Ive done a fair few miles in the 1500 and 1300 funcargo as well as the 1500 Ractis.In all honesty the two 1500's both drive the same and the 1300 funny drives the same but needs the pot stirred more on steep hills