Kiwi's addicted to cars.

friendly_prawn, Sep 3, 5:25am

thejazzpianoma, Sep 3, 5:34am
I am not sure this guy has accounted for our relatively sparse population in relation to land mass. The car is still a pretty economical method of transport for much of our population.

Also arguing for a carbon tax vs carbon trading. We already have a carbon tax on vehicles. its called GST and Road Tax. That acts as far more disincentive to drive than the 3c a litre or whatever we pay to the emissions trading scheme.

In terms of the other side of the scheme (the money raised) I would rather we just make an extra direct investment in NZ towards green technologies and researching whether carbon emissions really are the problem.

We should not be afraid to do our own thing. Especially with regard to economic matters, just look at how well Iceland is doing since they left the Euro and thumbed their noses at global control.

flack88, Sep 3, 5:57am
Bit rich for a yank to say that,they biggest consumers on the planet,let alone their war machine!

trogedon, Sep 3, 9:59am
They're not all Hummer driving, weapons carrying rednecks (but most seem to be).

00quattro00, Sep 3, 11:07am
Am I addicted if I own 10 cars!

heavydee, Sep 3, 7:14pm
I think it's fair comment. Alternative transport options in Auckland are a joke. Nationals solution! More roads!

loose.unit8, Sep 4, 12:32am
Can you still only drive one at a time!

dave653, Sep 4, 12:36am
Yeah, more roads. to fit more cars! 'kin moron PM!

morrisman1, Sep 4, 12:50am
haha, this guy says we are backwards and prehistoric then says we should have a carbon tax instead. Whats the tax gunna do for the world buddy! You cant through money into the ground and have it become magically better.

Our reliance on cars is that of necessity. The main centres should have better public transport, a system that people could actually use, not not be ashamed of using either. Then we need to move more freight by rail and get rid of the long haul trucks for general goods.

volkier, Sep 4, 12:54am
Is he for real! NZ has probably the least amount of smallest, least maintained roads, with the highest percentage of oldest average rate of vehicles on the road, in all of the modern world. I think the poor guy has failed Geography, and doesn't know where New Zealand actually is. Would hardly surprise me.