BMW Head gasket

leezen, Sep 3, 9:53am
How do you lock in top dead centre on a E34 525i 1994 M50 DOHC!

I want to change the head gasket.

mm12345, Sep 3, 11:17am
Without being too harsh (I hope), I'd start by searching forums or elsewhere on the net. that might lead you to something like this:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/101-Projects-17-Head-Gasket/101-Projects-17-Head-Gasket.htm
Note difficulty rating is "9" and that's out of 10 - not 100.There's a couple of tricky bits there relating to locking the crank at TDC through a hole in the block which doesn't look easy to find using a special tool which is expensive, remembering to unlock it and rotate the crank before whacking the head back on, resetting to TDC and locking it again, and a whole chapter on vanos cam timing that I didn't look at.

twink19, Sep 3, 7:27pm
and replace all head bolts

the-lada-dude, Sep 3, 7:39pm
to be honest leezen, you don't need any special tools , nothing but a good set of hand tools ! and lots of experience. there maybe a couple of tricks or pit falls, but any engineer with the smarts will have that cased b4 tackling a job. BUT . in your case, when you ask ' how to find TDC 'mmmmm this adventure could be right out of your league.esp when there are two TDC's in a 4 stroke cycle.but hey , give it ago. auto mechanicing is almost just shear logic

elect70, Sep 4, 1:24am
There is a tool for locking thecam positions withsprockets/chainsremovedso dont get them out ofphasewkshop manual hasthe dimensions to make your own .In fact need the manual for details oftoirquing etc

peril787b1, Sep 4, 6:11am
One of the main thins to look out for with the M50 is the hollow camshafts, they snap rather easily.There are some tricks to take them out without the special BMW tool, just be aware to be extremely cautious. http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/E36-Camshaft-Removal/E36-camshaft-removal.htm

budgel, Sep 4, 9:53pm
Very important, ignore at your peril.

mm12345, Sep 4, 11:37pm
To be fair, the OP asked how to "lock in" TDC, not how to find it.

the-lada-dude, Sep 5, 10:11pm
yes ok, but with the piece of junk he maybe going to tinker with, finding the RIGHTTDC could be all important .