Help, is 997cc car too gutless, unsafe etc. Opinio

Page 2 / 3
fordcrzy, Sep 10, 6:27am
having driven a 1300cc vitz i CAN say that they are totally incapable of passing a car doing 90 safely so FORGET IT if its a 1000cc jobbie.
in my opinion even the 1300 is not suitable for open road driving. you simply cannot pass a car (dont even think about a truck).if the car has 4 people in in i would be surprised if it could maintain 100 without having your foot nailed to the floor. if it were me i would get a better condition older model starlet.

andy61, Sep 10, 6:28am
I used to have a 1 litre Vitz,just didnt have enough power for everyday driving-too sluggish taking off from traffic lights,crossing intersections etc,forget about trying to overtake anything,slow on the open road(struggle to keep up with traffic at 100-105kms),and fuel economy suffered because you had to work it so hard.My father has a 1300 Vitz and it is way better to drive,ample power for everyday driving,excellent fuel economy,go for a Vitz/Echo/Yaris but get a 1300 or 1500 .Dont try convincing yourself the 1 litre will be ok because you will regret it, I know I did.

armin59, Sep 10, 6:29am
Has to be an automatic, not a manual driver unfortunately. The starlet was a 1300 cc. Thanks.

hatchback, Sep 10, 6:30am
I drove a 1000cc nissan march the other day, would not accelerate at 80ks in 5th on a slight incline and later I drove my 3.8 VP.priceless

fordcrzy, Sep 10, 6:36am
a 1300 vitz IS NOT the sameas a starlet. the vitz is strangled by emmissions tuning and is (probably) heavier.

unbeatabull, Sep 10, 6:49am
Why is it everytime I get into a thread about advice on a car I know there will be a post from Jazz, a post from someone anti Jazz, then the thread taken over by that argument rather then helping the OP! lol

kazbanz, Sep 10, 6:57am
Okj armin. Heres my honest opinion. Theres a few cars that will do a great job replacing the lil starlet.
But from what you have typed I can say I honestly feel she will be best served by buying a 2003-2006 Mazda Demio
Quite honestly I reckon she will be two weeks in the demio and will be utterly at home--it feels very much like a 1300 starlet. but a bit more power

fordcrzy, Sep 10, 7:12am
i*

Quite honestly I reckon she will be two weeks in the demio and will be utterly at home--it feels very much like a 1300 starlet. but a bit more power
o Quote
kazbanz (24 )6:57 pm, Mon 10 Sep #32

Post a message in this thread
might agree with KAZ BUT but but.isnt that Demio model that you cannot change the stereo! i mean the stereo is the most important part of the car when your a 15-25 year old female.

fordcrzy, Sep 10, 7:12am
i might agree with KAZ BUT but but.isnt that Demio model that you cannot change the stereo! i mean the stereo is the most important part of the car when your a 15-25 year old female.

fordcrzy, Sep 10, 7:14am
if i were looking at demio money i would get a fiesta instead. the fiesta is waaay better than a demio for the same money

armin59, Sep 10, 7:19am
No, the colour is actually, alas she thinks the demio is a Nana car, along with the sirion and march. The car has to have the cool factor. Meanwhile Mum is the taxi driver. Well thank you all. We have definitely decided no to the 1000cc, it is at Economy Cars if you want to have a squizz. Piss green colour, I thought it was hideous, auto lever thingy was on the steering wheel like a column change and the front seat was like a bench. Blerk I thought. Chris Martin Ch-Ch has a 2005 vitz in bright frog green ( apparently an acceptable colour ). Anyone volunteer to look that one up and see what you think please.

fordcrzy, Sep 10, 7:28am
GO AND DRIVE A FORD FIESTA FIRST!
they are had and shoulders better than the vitz on the open road and are much better handling and more spacious. do your self a favour and test drive a fiesta before buying a vitz. try getting a NZ new one as they have better wheels and suspension than the import ones.

armin59, Sep 10, 7:30am
I will tell her all your suggestions. I thought ford were crap. Not that I know anything. First, On, Rubbish, Dump and all those things. Hmm wonder what cool colours they come in.

fordcrzy, Sep 10, 7:35am
the fiesta was small car of the year all over the world for more than 2 years.no they are not crap.(you are probably thinking of the 80's FESTIVA.Totally different cars not related in any way) FIESTA'S are bloody great cars.a 2005 fiesta is MUCH better car than a 2005 vitz.

armin59, Sep 10, 7:49am
I shall look up them in Ch-Ch, we are in to looking at all options.

unbeatabull, Sep 10, 7:50am
If you get a manual Fiesta, they are actually quite nippy wee cars . great fun to hoon around in, and practically nothing goes wrong with them.

pebbles61, Sep 10, 8:06am
You sir, want an ADO16!

sprinkle, Sep 10, 8:08am
I had a Mini 1000 (998cc) which could take 3 adults and 14 doz stubbies up Ngauranga Gorge no worries.Any car should be fine as long as you dont plan on stopping on the hills. To be honest it comes down to how well the driver can operate the vehicle.

armin59, Sep 10, 8:14am
New shape demio looks nice, she wants a very small car, same size as starlet. She likes driving something that feels like a go-cart to me.

kazbanz, Sep 10, 8:40am
armin -sorry to keep pushing the barrow but whilst every demio is basicly the same under its "clothes"they do dress up rather well.
Have a look at a demio sport or a demio cosy with a factory body kit.
They loose none of their practicality but look a lot sportier.
Another car worth concidering is the Toyota IST. Its what the new shape Swift is based on but is a toyota
One young lady I spoke to Yesterday just "loved" (her words) the look of the chevrolet cruise (2002-2004 version) -not so much the outside but the sporty look inside

ema1, Sep 10, 8:43am
My sister has a Suzuki Swift RS 1.6 Sport version and I thought the nana car thing too but I was completely blown away by the performance of it and it is surprisingly economical too.
The standard Swift would be a great buy I reckon.

ema1, Sep 10, 8:43am
My sister has a Suzuki Swift RS 1.6 Sport version and is automatic.
I thought the nana car thing too but I was completely blown away by the performance of it and it is surprisingly economical too.
The standard Swift would be a great buy I reckon.

armin59, Sep 10, 8:47am
Grangies, thanks, but it's manual, white and too many ks. We test drove a 2005 vits RS form Paul Kelly 1500, I thought it was delicious. She has now spotted a bright green Mazda Demio at Donnithorne Simms Trade In, 2008, 51000k $15,000. What do you think!

fordcrzy, Sep 10, 8:49am
armin what is your budget please! its very important to get a budget in this category as the "best" car depends on budget range.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 10, 8:56am
This is the problem you are falling in to the trap of lumping a whole lot of different cars from different countries and manufacturers together, calling them "euro" and expecting the same rules to apply.

My Puntos of that model were work cars, they were looked after by a regular local garage because I was too busy. They were cheaper to look after than an equivalent Toyota because in a lot of cases the parts were actually cheaper and the service intervals longer.

Overall, the Fiat cost a fraction of what it cost us to run our Toyota's (we had two of them as well) because the economy was so much better as well.

I appreciate your concern but it really is unfounded. I wouldn't recommend one if I wasn't confident, that's why you don't hear me recommending a lot of cars, be it European or otherwise.