Help, is 997cc car too gutless, unsafe etc. Opinio

Page 3 / 3
fordcrzy, Sep 10, 9:03am
there is some pretty serious choice in the 15-20k price range. The 8-15 not so much value for money.

armin59, Sep 10, 9:20am
Just found a starlet advertised on trade me, red 1998 82,000km, just like bubble and about the insurance money price. I wouldn't have to lend her money to get something more expensive. Private seller though, scarey, out of my comfort zone, might be tricky.

fordcrzy, Sep 10, 9:29am
did you see the mx5 i posted earlier for similar money! much better car than the starlet. But if 4 seats are a must then that shape starlet is a good choice for that budget

armin59, Sep 10, 9:43am
Thanks for all your help fordcrazy, she wants a tiny car and it needs to fit 4/5, plus room for the dogs. A reliable little car for a newbie nurse, something that won't crape out after a night shift in the dark by Hagley Park. Those sporty things look like middle age crisis cars, says she who has bought a motorbike.

icemans1, Sep 10, 12:42pm
my wife owned one and i wouldn't recommend any car under 1300cc

andy61, Sep 10, 5:06pm
The Demio would be a great car.The Starlet sounds overpriced and somewhat old for that money,plus it will be due for a replacement cambelt soon,which a Demio doesn`t have.

armin59, Sep 13, 3:07am
Hi, thanks for your help everyone. Today we bought this
Toyota Vitz
52,000km
$12,000.00
Bright Green.
Chris Martin Inporter.
We took it to our mechanic, he put it up on the hoist, checked it thoroughly. Not been crashed, very tidy, good engine. He said he wouldn't hesitate buying the car. So it's paid for and waiting for all the other stuff.
Do you guys think this will be good for my girl! Too late now anyway. Thanks for all your help. Bye.

andy61, Sep 13, 4:55am
Is it a 1 litre!

skyblue17, Sep 13, 5:10am
You will often notice that mugen the bogan makes comments like that without any backup facts. Watch and see how often his opinion on this m. board is wrong.

armin59, Sep 13, 9:18am
Andy it's a 1300. If you look up Chris Martin Car sales, it's on his website. Tell me what you think. She also liked the Blue Vitz RS, couldn't decide which one for ages, Boooring. Do you like it!

kazbanz, Sep 13, 9:20am
armin--Ive sold a few of the 05 1300 vitz/yarrisgood lil car

andy61, Sep 13, 9:26am
My dad has a 06 1300 Vitz,its been a reliable dependable car(bought it in Japan at 1600kms (not 16000kms)up to 48000kms now.He likes the car but mum hates driving it(Mum drives a 08 Demio) I have driven the Vitz,does everything you want it to do,but could be abit more refined-I think its rather noisy .keep the oil changes up and it will give many years of dependable motoring.

armin59, Sep 13, 9:47am
Apparently it takes expensive oil and has some sort of closed engine or something. Has a stupid remote thing instead of a key, seems a bit weird. Drives alot nicer than the poor dead starlet.

sewing_girl, Sep 13, 10:48am
I just bought a toyota Platz 1500cc and it seems to have plenty of power on the open road.A friend of mine who drives rental cars highly recomends them. I was looking at buying a Toyota Vitz but decided the platz was better and higher off the road which helps around Christchurch on the rough roads. I live on the east side

r.g.nixon, Sep 13, 11:00am
I've got one. Does 140 kph, but ear plugs are advisable at anything over 80 kph.

rpvr, Sep 13, 8:19pm
My partner had a 1300cc Starlet automatic and was very fond of it. She then replaced it with a 1300cc Vitz and loves it. If your daughter was happy with the Starlet she will be happy with the 1300 Vitz. If you can find a 1500 so much the better.

skiff1, Sep 13, 9:15pm
have you considered a LHD chevvy impala! The only reason you dont see more on the road is because kiwis are all sheep and have been brainwashed to drive jap imports just because they are better cars, that last forever, cost less to run and pretty much any one can work on them with parts easily available at prices that dont involve amputating body parts.
Sheep, I say!
Another option is the russian T34 main battle tank, eventhough it features an inefficient two-man turret not seen on any other tank of the era, and scrapped as soon as the Reds figured out how to do a three man turret on the cheap. It must be better than the opposition because a) its different, b) it is impossible to find parts for now and c) it was put together in a country noted for overpriced form over function.

No wait, that last point was about Italy, not the USSR.

Seriousily though, dont get an italian car. some of them are cool, some of them are engineering master pieces, and some of them are reliable. None are all three and as a serious negative you would tun into an italian car driver, the single most irritating thing imaginable after electrified shoes and peewee herman.

armin59, Sep 14, 6:45am
Hah Skiff, are you having a go at me! I'm a.s.d and don't get sacasam or things that aren't obvious. We bought a 1300 vitz, lovely bright green. She drove it to Amberly today with little sis and was pleased with the car. Thank God, because I'm sick of car shopping. Thanks for your help.

cleetusnz, Sep 14, 8:32am
I've been driving a 2002 1000c vitz for the last few weeks between masterton-palmy 3 times a week. Not the most exciting car in the world, but despite what some posters say, you can still pass others with ease.(and this is the auto!).

Compared to my older lucino-which is more fun, the vitz isnt to bad on gas, and sits ok for a small car on the road.

skiff1, Sep 14, 8:37am
Not you, just taking the p*** out of some of the "advice" that ts trotted out on here.

armin59, Sep 14, 9:22am
Oh, thanks skiff for explaining.

msigg, Sep 14, 9:23am
good on ya great litle car, will last a long time if you get it servied correctly. all the best.