Ford Focus 2008-2010

Page 1 / 2
l_and_p, Sep 10, 4:22am
Are these cars good and reliable or should I be looking at a Mazda 3 instead!

I just need a reliable, economical car basically and am willing to spend up to 20K.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'm open to them :)

ceebee2, Sep 10, 4:38am
Mazda 3 hands down.no contest. Better resale also.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 10, 4:44am
The car you should be comparing it to IMO is the VW Golf. In the rest of the world that is the benchmark (we are just weird in NZ because we are Japanese import obsessed).
Since the MK5 in 2004 it absolutely blitzed the competition. Only the current Focus (came out 2011 here!) really comes close to measuring up.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 10, 4:44am
The car you should be comparing it to IMO is the VW Golf. In the rest of the world that is the benchmark (we are just weird in NZ because we are Japanese import obsessed).
Since the MK5 in 2004 it absolutely blitzed the competition. Only the current Focus (2011+) really comes close to measuring up.

l_and_p, Sep 10, 5:51am
What advantages/disadvantages would it have over the Focus or Mazda though!

thejazzpianoma, Sep 10, 6:04am
Excellent question!

The short answer is lots, basically the Golf was a generation ahead of its competitors in terms of engine, transmission etc. Its only some of the brand new models now that actually offer similar gear.

The long answer is mostly you will notice the transmission. Ford were still mucking around with a traditional 1980's technology 4 speed automatic. It ruins small cars because the torque converter steals 30% of the power/economy (except at cruise) and you just don't have enough gears to get the best form a small engine.

The VW on the other hand have their fabulous 6 Speed DSG. Its a more durable design with easier maintenance, has 6 gears and no torque converter to sap any power/economy. Couple that with VW's amazingly efficient direct injection engine and you have unbeatable power/economy.

In the context of the day you had the likes of the 2.0 Golf which had properly grunty performance yet had fuel economy that some 1.3 litre auto's of the day struggled to match.

Aside from that, its just better in every way, it handles beautifully, super safe (most have 12 airbags), parts are cheap they are super low maintenance.

Take one for a drive andbe amazed.

BTW, you will be looking at the newer engines again, its easy to be confused by the CC rating. The newer Golfs use a further updated engine range, you will find a 1.4 litre Golf is more like a 2.0 for performance. (and it replaced the 2.0 Golf for this reason).

Oh and disadvantages over the Mazda/Ford!
None that I can think of. Just the attitude of some in the industry in NZ because its not Japanese. Ford are a little better accepted because of shared Japanese components so the haters can't really hate without shooting themselves in the foot.

Be prepared to hear some nonsense about the DSG being supposedly unreliable (which it is not, quite the opposite actually) and anything else people can dream up. The industry (and message-boards) are funny, people will actually go out of their way to hate on VW yet these haters will most likely have never even sat in one let alone owned several like we have.

BTW, I do like the Ford/Mazda, I had Mondeo's as work cars when that Focus came out. But they just are not in the same league as the VW, not even close. Especially if buying an auto.

vtecintegra, Sep 10, 6:08am
The Focus (and 3 to a lesser extent) is much more enjoyable to drive than Golf.

You need to take any fuel economy figures posted on here with a grain of salt, some posters are just wishful thinking.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 10, 6:09am
Come back when you have owned one. The figures are what they are, I am not going to pretend they are worse just to please the uniformed posters expectations.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 10, 6:09am
Come back when you have owned one. The figures are what they are, I am not going to pretend they are worse just to please the uniformed posters expectations.

The only comparable focus in terms of enjoyable drive is a manual one. The auto is not even remotely as nice to drive, especially in the hilly stuff.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 10, 6:29am
Anyhow I_and_P.
We can argue amongst ourselves till the cows come home. The very best thing you can do is just take a 1.4 TSI DSG Golf for a drive, do some open road and hilly stuff then compare it to the Focus and Mazda.
The difference should be immediately obvious. Flick the fuel economy meter to instant (button on end of stalk) and you can see your economy as you go.

Expect the average economy over the tank to be showing a bit high though as most dealers cars just get thrashed around while fairly cold while people test drive them. The instant will give you a better idea, especially once the engine is warm.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 10, 6:29am
Anyhow I_and_P.
We can argue amongst ourselves till the cows come home. The very best thing you can do is just take a 1.4 TSI DSG Golf for a drive, do some open road and hilly stuff then compare it to the Focus and Mazda.
The difference should be immediately obvious. Flick the fuel economy meter to instant (button on end of stalk) and you can see your economy as you go.

Expect the average economy over the tank to be showing a bit high though as most dealers cars just get thrashed around while fairly cold while people test drive them. The instant will give you a better idea, especially once the engine is warm.

Oh and the Audi A3 is the same car as the Golf with a different shape bodyshell, you might prefer the shape or find a bargain in one of those too. Sometimes you can find higher spec in the Golf though as they tend to come in "packages" with spec where as the Audi you tend to select the options you want.

unbeatabull, Sep 10, 6:52am
I have to agree with whoever said the Golf was boring to drive . it really is.

It is a great car, but it really is bland. There is nothing that stands out about it.

I've always felt the Mazda's have a much nicer interior and more comfortable ride then the Focus. Underneath they are more or less the same car, so is really a case of which one you would prefer. The Mazda's seem to sell for more, but that would mean you're also going to pay more for one as well.

bignzer1, Sep 10, 8:41am
I_and _P if you look at other treads about chosing cars you will find a certain person pushing the Euro cars. If they are as good as he says they are he wouldn't need to push them at all. Talk to your mechanic and see what he perfers to work on and what is the cheaper car to buy parts for and fix.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 10, 9:03am
They sell themselves in other countries. Its only NZ and its moron knuckle draggers who slap themselves on the back and make up story's to sell rubbish imports that cause the trouble. Because there are so many doing it the uninformed naively believe it, and because we are isolated no one realises.
Anyone who has actually owned a Golf will be able to tell you they have very low service requirements and parts are about as cheap as parts come.

bignzer1, Sep 10, 9:11am
No need for the insults Jazz, was pointing out that most of the mechanic I know don't like working on them. If you can't handle someone else's opinion then maybe you shouldn't give yours.

fiatracer, Sep 10, 8:41pm
last year I looked at these very cars [helping father in law buy a new or near new car]. we tried focus, Mazda 3 and Golf. The mazda 3 went well but felt significantly cheaper, and not as nice on the road as the others. The Golf [Mk 5 2 litre petrol DSG] was definitely the best drive - but for the price it meant higher mileage. He chose an ex-demo Focus - IMO the least interesting choice but he loves it. Until his first trip out of town when the auto trans failed and needed total replacement [car was at 5,000km]. Me - I'd go for the Golf every time.

sifty, Sep 10, 9:02pm
Hyundai i30.!

Not sure what they cost but had one as a rental recently and preferred it to the corolla, and about the same as the focus I normally get allocated. Felt good on the road

l_and_p, Sep 10, 9:08pm
Sorry should of been more specific, was looking for hatch type cars

l_and_p, Sep 10, 9:20pm
Also taking everything into consideration.

Would a Focus or Mazda take as much maintaining as say a Golf (I mean I'll maybe skip the odd service). Parts wise Focus and Golf would generally be the same! They are both German after all.

Also does anyone if these 3 models are cam/chain/timing belts!

l_and_p, Sep 10, 9:22pm
Will check some of those out, thanks

ceebee2, Sep 10, 9:26pm
No cambelt to worry about in the Mazda3. Very peppy engine, get the GSX not GLX model as it has a few extras like cruise control, stereo controls on the steering wheel.
BTW Jazz Mazda3has 12 airbags as well.

supernova2, Sep 10, 9:36pm
Saw a quote for parts for a smashed Focus a while back.(Frontal)Most of the bits had to come from overseas as not stocked in NZ.Some of the prices were scarey.So I'd be making enquiry as to parts prices of consumable bits if you intend keeping the car for some time.

shelleigh, Sep 11, 12:03am
Sifty we had one as a rental in July and, if I had driven it before buying my 2012 Fiesta hatch, I would seriously have considered buying one.
But I am very, very happy with my Fiesta - has Ford's Powershift auto which is a 6 speed, dual clutch set up. So still peppy passing even when going uphill.

shelleigh, Sep 11, 12:05am
Jazz the 2008-2010 Focus has Ford's Powershift - 6 speed, dual clutch auto :)

curlcrown, Sep 11, 12:09am
I've got to agree with you 100% on this. talking from experiance I have dealt with dozens of VW autos and hundreds or other autos. I have hade more problems with the few dozen VW autos than all of the other autos combined. It is a fact that auto VW do not compare with anything else.