Ford Focus 2008-2010

Page 2 / 2
fiatracer, Sep 11, 12:29am
Really! I'm sure my father-in-law's 2010 is just a 4 speed auto, one of the main reasons I far preferred the Golf [DSG]

shelleigh, Sep 11, 12:52am

l_and_p, Sep 11, 1:05am
I'm assuming the UK is the same model as NZ!

oemaudio, Sep 11, 1:36am
What about a 2.4 litre Toyota Blade, good power to weight good on fuel, nine airbags. Lots of nice features

shelleigh, Sep 11, 2:02am

thejazzpianoma, Sep 11, 3:24am
Yes, as far as I am aware it took a while for us to get the new goodies in the Focus. 2011 as far as I am aware, feel free to correct me as I don't follow the focus that hard.
That is why I said what I did in the original comments, the new Focus with powershift (DSG style transmission) is actually a fair contender against the Golf. The old one with the 4 speed is 10 years behind the game.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 11, 3:31am
The Golf is timing chain. If you want minimal servicing the Golf is the clear winner. I suggest you have the variable intervals turned on which means the car will monitor your driving and how the engine is performing, then adjust its service interval's to suit.
With the 2.0 Golf (which I have more experience with) you can get up to 38'000km/2 years between service intervals if driven quietly. I would expect similar with the 1.4.
Just make sure that when you do service it you service it properly using teh correct oil and fluids including the proper VW coolant.
The 7 speed dry clutch DSG also has a big advantage in that it is properly maintenance free. Its built like a manual box, so you can do a cheap easy drain and change of the transmission oil around 100'000km if you want to, but if you don't do it its not gong to really be an issue.
All regular auto's (like used in the other options) should be maintained much more frequently and at greater cost if you want them to last.

wizzbikz, Sep 11, 4:14am
checkout which of the Mazda & Focus has been car of the year the most times since 2002 to 2012. there is a clear WINNER.Thats not car of the year NZ but the WORLD. Then find out how they choose car of the year .

thejazzpianoma, Sep 11, 4:25am
According to whom!
caroftheyear.org doesn't list either as car of the year even once in that time.

fiatracer, Sep 11, 4:38am
yes, I think that's correct. I certainly felt the 4 speed was a major drawback.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 11, 4:54am
I just don't understand why some manufacturers were still mucking around with them so late. At minimum they should have been running a 5 speed regular auto by the time we got into the 2000's especially in small and medium cars. To even try and compete with a 4 speed auto against the likes of the 7 speed DSG just seems absolute madness.

It was a big putoff for me with the last Hyundai I30 too, that and they were wanting Golf money for them in NZ and even Hyundai themselves admitted they were not in the same league as the Golf. It just shows the power of marketing.

the-lada-dude, Sep 11, 5:36am
they may look like a golf.or sound like a golf.but they'e not a golf!

l_and_p, Sep 12, 4:48am
Do you have any sources!

Anyways Im off to test drive some Focus's and Mazda 3's this weekend and will pop around the place to drive a Golf - at this stage I'm not a fan of the looks for the model that will be in my price range

thejazzpianoma, Sep 12, 4:55am
Audi A3 is exactly the same car as the Golf underneath. Its looks may appeal more.

serf407, Sep 17, 10:24am
At least have a look at the 2007-2009 Toyota Corolla Hatchback in the 6 speed manual, auto is a lesser option unless you do the Motorway crawl and are not into clutch pedal pumping exercises.
I see you are in Auckland and you will know how bad some other drivers are in car parks. Probably you may not be so annoyed if someone backs their black smoke belching Terrano into your Corolla in a car park compared to if you owned a pristine VW Golf, Mazda 3, Honda Civic or Ford Focus Zetec.
http://youtu.be/c3-YppOqr4Q