Page 1 / 2
carstauranga001, Sep 11, 3:13am

sw20, Sep 11, 3:16am
They seem to get thirstier with age

thejazzpianoma, Sep 11, 3:16am
LOL, that is marvelous.
Thanks for sharing!

curlcrown, Sep 11, 3:27am
Us gallon is less than our gallon hence the low figures.

bellky, Sep 11, 3:35am
^
1 US gallon = 3.785412 litres

1 UK gallon = 4.54609 litres

sw20, Sep 11, 4:27am
No kidding. Mine is still better. 30mpg US city, 38mpg US highway.

intrade, Sep 11, 5:12am
that looks like a 90s model

thejazzpianoma, Sep 11, 5:15am
That's O.K the technology is from the 80's anyway.

sw20, Sep 11, 5:48am
Just like the prices for servicing

morrisman1, Sep 11, 6:11am
brilliant.

hatchback, Sep 11, 8:40am
Hey jazz, heres one for ya, start watching at 2mins
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=vrU9xI8d8DI&feature=related
I dont mean to take the piss, I see you have a vast knowledge of the euros, something I really know nothing about, mind you wouldnt mind a V8 BMW

thejazzpianoma, Sep 11, 8:51am
Yes. because Toyota slobs probably haven't done any since the 80's.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 11, 9:18am
Ahhh that's a very interesting one to bring up, especially as I actually sold my Corolla of exactly that Model and bought a MK3 Golf GTI to replace it. So I can tell you very much first hand.

So. whats the go!

Well, Topgear in their wonderfully exaggerated manner were a little bit loose with the details/facts. You see in the U.K you can also get a MK3 8V GTI in addition to the 16V one we got here.

So they are actually lining up an 8V Golf against a 16V Corolla. Add to that the Corolla to its credit with how its geared etc is particularly good off the line. It is however fairly average in acceleration when it comes to passing etc.

In the real world a 16V GTI will absolutely leave the Corolla for dead, and more so again as the speed gets up there.

morrisman1, Sep 11, 9:26am
so it bloody well should! Golf marketed as a sports version, vs a corolla with a target audience who has nil car knowledge. You would kinda expect the corolla to be horrible and the golf to be much better in most departments.

incar., Sep 11, 11:48am
Hahaha classis! in the Real world the corolla wins everytime, most times it would be 3 weeks ahead of you in your sorry a$$ vw while you wait for your ebay parts. i bet if the vw out classed the corolla top gear would be praised.

johnf_456, Sep 11, 8:33pm
You shouldn't need to get parts from there, remember parts are cheap, they don't break and dealers all over nz have oodles of parts for them.

zephyrheaven, Sep 12, 6:01am
I resemble that comment

scoobeey, Sep 12, 6:23am
corolla owners just keep their cars as they need reliabilty lol

thejazzpianoma, Sep 12, 6:24am
Bland the Corolla may be, however it was the second to top (if my memory serves me right) model 16V version. There are two levels of Golf above the base GTI that they compared it to and even the 8V GTI would still likely catch andpass the Corollaonce up to speed.

The Golf (even the 8V) is much better in most departments (safety, comfort, equipment, power for passing, handling etc).

If you take topgear seriously you are sillier than I thought.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 12, 6:31am
I didn't, we sold both and never regretted doing so for a second. We even got every bit as much reliability out of the replacements (Golf GTI and Fiat Punto).

Couldn't go back to one now, not that there is any point in doing so, economic or otherwise.

If people are too scared or stupid to re-evaluate things from time to time that's their prerogative.

Myself, I would rather test and re-evaluate my assumptions so I can enjoy the best the world has to offer.

Incidentally, that Corolla IMO was the crowning glory of Toyota's achievement, especially the Kiwi ones, when they came out they were a really good car (and yes I know the MK3 Golf came out at the same time). That's why we owned two of them.

Likewise the Hiace of the time was the bees knees in its day, I would have taken one over the Ducato every time for knocking around town.

But times change, recessions happen etc. Sadly Toyota has just traded on its name and greatly exaggerated reliability claims for some time now.

morrisman1, Sep 12, 6:31am
Um, I was saying that Id expect the golf to be better than the corolla. Seems you have misunderstood me lol.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 12, 6:33am
No, read what I said again.

scoobeey, Sep 12, 6:34am
greatly exaggerated reliabilty claims what an idiotic statement .i will post in ten years when yet another hiace i own has done the neaaly milion km mark!

sw20, Sep 12, 7:47am
Yes lets compare apples with oranges. The reason they chose that comparison was the price was similar when new and they both made around 115hp. The mk3 gti 16v with its 150hp was another 5 grand on the 8v.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 12, 8:51am
O.K then, so the Corolla was quicker to 100km and the last word in reliability while the Golf is better for passing and more refined with better features and handling. What's the problem with that!

They both had plus and minus points for the same price, personally having had both I would have the Golf again even in 8V form.

The issue with Topgear is simply the spin they put on things.