Xr falcon Xy falcon are the roofs the same

Page 2 / 2
lookoutas, Sep 22, 8:51am
Not good is it!
Funny thing though - I'm thinking this might be the best way around the CL Panel Van problem. I'm surprised no-one's come back asking what the hell a Drifter is.
Or has Google had a thrashing!

When the customer came in saying he had a Valiant that needed a resto, my first thoughts were not to upset him by saying it would be a waste of money. Until he described what it was, and how many were made, and how few were known to be still alive.
An amazed rep came in last Thur. Had never heard of such wagon - rang back on Fri after talking to a Valiant mate, who told him a mate of a mate had one in Cambridge.
Then I'm discussing gun's roof problem with my mate today, and the conflab turned to the Drifter, which he knew nothing about, but the penny dropped regarding a guy he knew who had a Ute with Drifter on the tailgate. And he just thought it was a cowboy addition, but when I asked what extras it had - like big thick decals down the side that kicked up at the back, 318 V8, Charger dash & steering wheel, buckets, and it was one of the 3 colours available - all the ticks fell in place. And there were only 6 CL Drifter Utes made.
So just for the record: there were 338 CL Drifter Panel Vans and 75 CL Charger Drifters. Some were 265's, but most were 318's with 4 on the floor.

lookoutas, Sep 22, 8:56am
Wondered about that too. I replaced one on a GT back in the 70's, but it went under a roadside mower, so the mower had already removed it!

gunhand, Sep 22, 8:59am
Hmmmmmmm, gotta a mowing contractor 4 doors down the road from us.
OH, and Im old enough to know what a drifter is/was. Valients answer to the sandman, or was it other way round!

lookoutas, Sep 22, 9:11am
Jeez - you must be old.
I had never heard of them. More-so, probably never interested enough to take notice. They were the answer to the Sandman & Sundowner.

If you use the mower - the speed was about 70 MPH, and don't forget to duck!
It was incredible that this guy didn't get a scratch on him. The mower was tilted down at about 45 degree, and it took the shaker off, scored the dash pad, took a chunk out of one front seat and the back seat!

gunhand, Sep 22, 9:17am
I reckon one of those hedge mowers would be the go. Yea, im old enough.

ema1, Sep 23, 6:44am
Probably best in the case of the XY roof with the pillars you've been offered and all and just use the lid, dissecting it (will be a mighty mission I can tell you) according to the pics that xpfairmont posted would be one way to go as as far as I can remember the XW-XY item in the roof part they had the "brow" over the rear screen aperture whereas the XR-XT did not. The rear screens in the XR-XT Falcons were pretty flush fitting.
Also by dissecting it at top of 'C' pillar flange joint and using the top extremities of the pillars and roof drip channels you'll be saving a heck of a lot of fitting-lining up problems due to distorting the roof panel during by dissecting it down to roof panel only, using the tops of the 'A' & "B' pillars and the roof side frames incorporating the drip channels etc you will be maintaining the structural and shape integrity of the roof panel as an "un dissected structure.
A lot less welding and fitting problems in total, but it will involve removing the front and rear screens is all.
That's the way I'd do itgun, seen lots done like that to an exceptional degree of finish, I've been instrumental a couple of times myself way back when it was quite common to replace bashed in car roof panels with undamaged items from donor bodies.
It all relies totally on scrupulously accurate measuring and cutting of all mating surfaces.

rob_man, Sep 23, 8:10am
And for gods sake step the joins and use doublers on the inside where possible.
I was also thinking on reflection that the rear window and the back edge of the roof may be different, that little overhang brow thing.

ema1, Sep 23, 10:01pm
Exactly, mean't to mention that fact.

gunhand, Sep 24, 6:40am
Ater some measuring today it seems the turret part at least is the same. The actuall roof c pillar is abit different as the body line/roof edge that runs along the roof Bout 50mm above drip rail dissapears into the c piller on the XW XY but on the XR that line forms part of the C piller right down to the gaurd and forms part of the rear window, about a 40mm flat edge that sticks out from the rear glass. Confused, Dont blame ya. Get two together and you will see.
How bout this for a laugh, Cut the turret off XY the sit on top of the whole XR roof and weld round it LOL, hell it would only make the car a few mm higher a. Naaa didn't think so.