Electric scooter battery install spark

onion5, Sep 17, 9:34am
Please help, i purchased a new set of batteries for an electric scooter 4 x 12volt 18amphr each. i took a photo of the wiring of the original dud ones to help on installingthe new ones. They are hooked up in series. On coming to fit the last cable the positive one, when i touched the battery post an almighty spark came off it. There are no lights or ign on that i can see. it has a on off fuse and when you turn the fuse off it is ok but i am worried it might blow the thing sky high if i turn the fuse on. I haven't had it going ever i was given it as a gift. any ideas!

bitsy_boffin, Sep 17, 9:52am
Sounds like you're shorting it.

Take a picture of how you have it wired and post so we can see.

mantagsi, Sep 17, 10:01am
If you turn on the 'fuse' (assuming it is a resettable breaker) it should trip and protect if there are any issues in the circuit. Just be careful, as DC circuits tend to melt the whole wire if there is a short, as opposed to the junction as with AC.

onion5, Sep 17, 10:03am
Hi it sounds like you are right ,it should just go on and not spark like it does, i haven't put a photo on the message board before would you mind advising me how to thanks.!

onion5, Sep 17, 10:07am
Hi Mantagsi thanks, yes the last wire to go to the battery terminal goes via the fuse switch like the ones you get in a home switch board.i guess if i see smoke i could manually shut it down quick as.

studio1, Sep 17, 10:08am
Have you tried touching the terminal again! It could be that the first time you touched it, the capacitors in the controller unit were discharged - and on connection it charged them up - at which point you will see a big spark, but only once. This is quite normal and happens with quite a few low voltage/high current devices like motor controllers, UPS units etc.

So try that - touch it again, and if it sparks wildly a second time then you have a short there somewhere.
As suggested above, upload the photo of the original batteries and how they were connected, and take a photo of how it is now and upload that.

studio1, Sep 17, 10:12am
To upload photos, go to "My TradeMe", then "My Photos", then click the blue text that says "Upload photo". Follow the prompts and then you'll see a thumbnail of the photo. Click on it and you'll notice in the URL bar at the top of your browser an address like "http://images.trademe.co-
.nz/photoserver/78/2322790578_-
full.jpg". Highlight and copy that URL, then paste it here with your reply.

skin1235, Sep 17, 1:00pm
recheck your photo, in theory there are several ways they can be fitted - either 12v, 24v or 48v but I'd suspect they are 12v
for 12v you should have every battery pos (+) terminal connecting to a pos (+ ) terminal on the next battery, all the neg terminals should be connected to each other also . but check if it is 12v - your photo should show

onion5, Sep 18, 2:56am
Hi all
Many thanks to those who replyed to my question, studio one was correct in that i did as he said and sure enough, it connected no problem the second time. I was v happy i can tell you. Thanks again for every ones help.my only problem now is the person who gave me the bike didn't rego it when he got it didn't need to, and now the govt has changed the rules on mopeds etc and i haven't enough paper work to get it complyed with . Might have to sell it.

onion5, Sep 20, 10:14am
Hi if any ones interested the scooter is up for sale as other sooter 2005.on trade me.
I would be very interested if any one can identify the make, but i doubt now it can get registered.Thanks.