Caravan roof repair

lou64, Sep 18, 12:38am
i am going to reseal and repaint both edges of roof.would a waterproof marine paint {white} be suitable for the final seal & paint ! any imfo would be helpful regards Lou

skin1235, Sep 18, 12:46am
talk to the experts, due to thermal expansion onaluminium any paint over joints would need to be very flexible - and stay flexible - try painters that have some experience of doing caravans or talk to the local caravan centers
it may even be advisable to seal all the side joints with a silicon sealer before painting
nothing worse than doing a dam fine paint job and still have leaks when all it needed was a little info and a few more minutes on the prep work

lou64, Sep 18, 1:37am
thanks for that the van has no leaks, just doing prevative maintance

ceebee2, Sep 18, 1:45am
As mentioned marine paint (2 pot) is very durable and hard but non elastic whereas single pot marine is flexible to some degree.

petermcg, Sep 18, 6:19am
Durham waterproofing is a black rubber like product that you apply with a brush. Roofers and plumbers may use it, and I get it from plumbing world and use it on my motorhome roof.

jrd78, Sep 18, 11:41am
At work we are currently having some gutters painted by rhino linings insteadofhaving butnol put in them,the applicator mentioned that they have also done motor home roofs, by the sounds of it would be a great durable solution,and can be painted over for your chosen color.

lou64, Sep 19, 4:29am
thanks for all your replys have got it sorted nowLou

shark574, Sep 19, 7:56am
Plast e coat. Very good prouct

m16d, Sep 19, 8:10am
I just painted mine with roof paint.