Gps tracking

Page 1 / 2
alski2, Sep 16, 7:55am
does any one have it if so how much is it and do u have to pay to use to look were the car is !

thewomble1, Sep 16, 8:38am
Yep I have a unit in each of my cars. Costs $20 a year per car.prepaid cards.
Depends what you want to do.send a location when requested. .location every day.if car goes overa set speed limit.goes out of a defined area.etc.Some units you have to register with a tracking company and that can get rather costly.My trackers have built in antenna and are hidden in the car. I send a coded message and get a location back. To do that.9c for the text message from the mobile phone and 9c to get a reply. You can work out how many times you can do it for the $20 card. My ones also have an S.O.S button which when pushed tries to ring the mobile phone and also sends a text message the car location.very handy if the wife breaks down and has no phone.
Can also set mine to send a location say every minute which can be tracked on a map.
Also has the ability to shut of fuel or shut down the engine after receiving a coded message.
I paid $155 each

intrade, Sep 16, 8:58am
na my one works with gps costs txt message its controlled via txt sends global position coordinates and uses google map free to tell where the position is

motorboy2011, Sep 16, 9:05am
Mines same as wimbals from the sounds if it. Got my car back less than 30 min after I found out it had been stolen, cost $155 an took couple hours to hide properly and instal

intrade, Sep 16, 9:08am
yup best things to get car alarms make only noises that no one cares about when it gets stolen

thewomble1, Sep 16, 11:28am
Bad news car stolen GREAT NEWS car found using a GPS unit. Makes me happier knowing I have one installed.
Did you connect up the relay system to turn fuel off!Tossing whether to. Have to be very careful you don't turn off if car is moving.
something like this.Listing #: 513948648

motorboy2011, Sep 16, 11:42am
that listing doesn't have relay output so you cant cut fuel. I set mine up to disconnect the ignition, and turn the horn ON. Horn activation lets you locate the car in the situation of it being in a block of garages or hidden on a property somewhere.

alski2, Sep 17, 8:23am
well thats good then i am geting one then do u need a back up battery in them , i am keen on the one with the relay

intrade, Sep 17, 8:24am
probably best to have one with backup battery so you can trace it with disconnected battry on the back of a towtruck.

motorboy2011, Sep 17, 9:14am
The one I have has a small backup battery in it. If the car battery is removed or disconnected the unit automatically sends me a text saying power has been cut, then it will send me it's gps location every 3 min

motorboy2011, Sep 17, 9:16am
Auction: 514015546 is same as mine

beast9, Sep 17, 9:20am
http://dx.com/p/gps-gsm-gprs-tracker-for-personal-remote-positioning-29284!item=13 i have fitted these to taxis in nelson its a car alarm gps tracker with cutoff relay mic and emergency button takes any sim card cheap and effective

motorboy2011, Sep 17, 9:23am
The siren is a bad idea

thewomble1, Sep 17, 10:15am
listing #: 514276886.Can not find ones I installedbut this one is very similar. It does not have the fuel/ignition turn off function. It has an internal antenna.Hide the unit and there is no antenna stuck on a window for thieves to notice.listing514015546 has an External GSM and GPS cable style antennas so if you know what to look for you can spot that the car has a GPS tracker unit

motorboy2011, Sep 17, 10:22am
Wrong. The antenna do not need to be in view to work, they will work in any place a gps tracker with internal antenna can be hidden. Also, ones with external antennas can be better hidden because they can be hidden deep inside a car whet there is no signal, but the external antennas can also fit in smaller places where there is signal

thewomble1, Sep 17, 12:47pm
Internal only have to hide the unit.external have to hide both the unit and the antenna. Also extra wires to hide.
It all depends on the vehicle.In my case it was easy to hide and if I had to use an external antenna I would have to look elsewhere to install. I would find it difficult to find a place that could not be easily found to attach the antenna.
Both types would be about the same size.smaller than a mobile phone.
The main thing is they both work.

smac, Sep 17, 7:49pm
I would assume (!) that the ones with external antenna get a better signal! No good have an internal antenna if it means you lose signal around buildings.

motorboy2011, Sep 17, 7:59pm
what I mean is you cant hide the units with internal antennas too much, ie if you put your unit where mine is yours wouldnt get much signal. My antennas however have very good signal as they can be placed where a unit with internal antennas cant. Due to the size of your one, I am getting one though, for a motorbike.

ceebee2, Sep 17, 8:09pm
Awesome.I like that, maybe insurers could catch on here and fit them as standard to the hotter steal list of cars.

zanesberry, Sep 17, 8:40pm
These are good. Similar to the ones described above. I've installed quite a few of these and they do the job. http://dx.com/p/gps-gsm-tracker-for-motorcycle-vehicle-850-900-1800-1900mhz-54072

topzone, Sep 17, 11:41pm
Before anyone races off to buy a GPS tracking device,consider these portable signal blockers !

http://www.cellphone-jammer.org/--cell-phone-jammer_c6.html!zenid=7i4t6atire9iggbddim3v5kb64

smac, Sep 17, 11:48pm
Well yeees, and the guy about to burgle your house probably has a set of tools to lift out your aluminium framed windows, but does that mean you leave your front door open!

topzone, Sep 17, 11:56pm
Well the guy about to burgle my house is also about to meet my dog and or me.
What it means is nothing is infallible,alarms GPS's you name it ,if it is made by man another man can figure a way to bypass it.

motorboy2011, Sep 18, 1:14am
Correct, but to work, they need to block the gps signal, then find the gps tracker unit and deactivate it (without opening any doors) before they can turn their blocker off. At the same time they need to block the gsm signal so the unit cant text you to say its just lost gps signal or that the doors been opened.

loose.unit8, Sep 18, 1:20am
I was offered a discount on my insurance for installing a tracker