Peugeot 407 ST

ducatiss, Sep 15, 11:39am
Looking at a Peugeot 407 ST - 2.2 petrol engine with 6sp manual. 2005 with 87k on the clock. Any thoughts on these or advice! Thanks.

gman35, Sep 15, 12:07pm
Styling thoughts :- The designer that did the 406 probably should have been kept on. On the 407 the front wheels are too far back and the clown mouth grille looks ridiculus.

horsepower7, Sep 15, 1:35pm
just be glad that its a manual ;-)

ducatiss, Sep 15, 2:27pm
From my reading, its only the diesels that had issues with the flywheels.am I wrong here!

asa50, Sep 15, 8:07pm
price!

edangus, Sep 15, 9:28pm
Had one, hated it. Nice family, safe car, lots of bells and whistles.
Handles like a POS (Did not enjoy brake/suspension set up) and Gutless as heck.
You get over how ugly she is and she sort of grows on you, but the performance and overall handling is disappointing.
But then again, you may love it.

ducatiss, Sep 16, 1:16am
Price is 12995-other option I have been looking at is a BMW 320i (E46).

edangus, Sep 16, 4:33am
You need to look at a 523 - 528 to compare fairly, the 3 series is a small car compared to the Peugeot.

woody1946, Sep 16, 6:00am
Exactly. Was a Peugeot fan right up to the 406, but just hate the look of the 407. That grille really spoils the look

djrandomguy, Sep 16, 6:16am
get a diesel manual. or don't pay much for a petrol, ride will be different to most cars as peugeot chassis[s] are for press on motoring and require a more involved driver.

vtecintegra, Sep 16, 8:57am
Not the newer ones, they're just dull unfortunately

ducatiss, Sep 16, 10:05am
diesels are another 5 to 7K and apart from being prone to dual mass flywheel failure at very low km's (from what I have read) I don't think I can justify the extra money when there are better cars than the 407 in the 17 - 18K price range. However in the 13K price range this one appealed to me as it is a 2005 model with a 5 star safety rating and only one owner (a judge lol).

doctor_evil99, Sep 16, 11:54am
Had mine 407 wagon few years ago.check the ABS systems. The sensors tend to fail at about 60-75km - the front ones are easy to replace, the back ones no so easy and you have to drop the fuel tank to get to the wiring connector.Had my back ones replaced at $875.you can buy the sensors on ebay cheap as chip form the UK but someone has to reset the ECU.Basically, 407 is a great car but a few gremlins got into the electronics somehow.If you live in Auckland, Wiri electricals, there's a guy from Poland - he knows a lot about 407.
Google "Peugeot 407 problems" and you'll tons of info.

highspot, Sep 17, 1:25am
got to love da 406 diesel had mine for every and heading for 500,ks NO motorwork apart from service , just keeps going.

ducatiss, Sep 17, 4:58am
Thanks for the info - having just driven one I have to say nice car but not for me.Just had the funny fragile feel about it.Also really fiddly setup on the heater/radio controls etc. So yeah back to the drawing board.