Installing daytime LED running light

Page 1 / 2
n1smo_gtir, Sep 13, 11:17pm
looking at installing daytime LED running light, but according to WOF requirememnt, it must go off when you switch from just park to low beam. does anyone know how i can make it so it turns on with park lights but turns off when i turn low beam on!

for yous that work as a WOF inspectors, will it be ok if i just hook up the LED running light to a dedicated switch instead! cheers.

cossy5, Sep 14, 12:06am
Supasheep do a full kit $119

ceebee2, Sep 14, 4:52am
Simply tap into the low beam circuit (Use test lamp) and us a relay.

kimbo88, Sep 14, 5:05am
They are also required to go off when fog lights are on - we had some DRL's installed recently that do go off when the headlights go onto low beam, but were picked up at a subsequent WOF because they didn't turn off when fog lights were turned on too.Something to also check.

m16d, Sep 14, 5:14am
Cant use a relay on leds,they dont draw enough power.

Just hook up the leds with a diode on the earth side, and hook headlight power to earth side of leds.
Key on leds go. Lights on the leds have + to both sides ,so wont go.
Diode stops headlight power running to earth.

Have a practice run on the bench 1st.
If you making your own set, you'll have to put the correct resistor in there too.

mantagsi, Sep 14, 5:25am
Can't use a relay! Why not! Easy as pie. Get a 5 pin NC/NO relay and use the low beam feed to trigger it. Put the LED's through the COM to NC connection, so when the low beams go on, the relay switches from the NC terminal to NO, cutting out the LED's for any setting above park lamps, easy pie

lyonruge, Sep 14, 5:27am
What a load of bollocks. Use a normally closed relay, power the leds through a ign feed, the relay is switched by the park light circuit turning the drl off.

lyonruge, Sep 14, 5:28am
Snap! but we turn them off with the park lights. Which should eliminate the foglight issue.

mantagsi, Sep 14, 5:31am
Good call!I was just being argumentitave for the sake of it :P

m16d, Sep 14, 5:39am
The complete sets you can buy dont use a relay.
You'se fellas are making hard work of a simple job.

n1smo_gtir, Sep 14, 5:39am
thanks for that, i knew there are some talented folks out there=D TMMB always have the answers=)

poppajn, Sep 14, 7:05am
In this neck of the wood,s to get a COF/WOF your dayrunner,s must go out when any other light, i.e.park/headlights come on.

murph2068594, Sep 14, 10:43am
They should make it law that when you turn your ignition on to start the car, the daytime leds switch on as well.

Counted 6 cars with no lights on at all tonight. God help anyone who tries to overtake and doesn't see them.

clark20, Sep 14, 10:50am
Yes, the usual convention is on with ignition, off with park. Some Hella ones do it internally (no relay) and some have relays in the kit.

a18a, Sep 14, 10:55am
Isn't it illegal to drive with just your park lights on anyway!

clark20, Sep 14, 11:06am
Who said anything about that, the parks are on with fog or driving (so DRLs are off), and if you are parked (with park lights) at night with the ign on the DRLs are off.

n1smo_gtir, Sep 14, 11:08am
I see a lot of that lately and wonder if they are drunk. One jumped in front of me from parked position, no indicator either. Farking prick.

thewomble1, Sep 14, 12:55pm
That is how mine is done.

_peas, Sep 14, 9:03pm
Why would you want to look like a tacky new GTS Commy!

whqqsh, Sep 14, 9:13pm
agree, I think its all a bit tacky & gay, hopefully the trend will fade faster than spinny hubcaps & big wings

inkapuka, Sep 14, 9:23pm
My led. Dim. When light. Go. On should. Be legal most new cars have them. On while lights. Are on

bellky, Sep 14, 9:24pm
Is that some sort of idiot code!

n1smo_gtir, Sep 14, 9:44pm
what's more gay is people
Who put in their 2 cents that doesn't answer the initial enquiry. If original post was what do you think about led daytime lamp then sure.

bellky, Sep 14, 9:48pm
Yep^, don't bother installing them; THEY SUCK.

whqqsh, Sep 14, 9:52pm
wow, the only thread in history that hasnt stuck strictly to the title. Conversation with you must be fun, no straying off topic, must stick to the agenda