Paint question, dulon or.

paddyman, Sep 26, 9:51am
enamel, I know enamel is'nt very long lasting, but what would be the best to paint a trailer with!

rob_man, Sep 26, 9:55am
The frame of a trailer! Enamel.

beno, Sep 26, 9:56am
use enamel, theres a product called caprethane on the market which is fantastic stuff for doing trucks and hard working machines. It was from ameron coatings which i think have been bought out bysomeone else now. but it should still be available.You will get better coverage with enamel and it will last longer. are you spraying it or using a roller!

gunhand, Sep 26, 9:58am
Do you want it to last! or are you selling it!
My advice would be get hold of some CV 2k. Its cheap,$200 will get you 4ltr of colour and the hardner. And thats 3 times as much as you would need 4 a 6x4. So 1ltr would be cheaper still.Oh and you will need a ltr of thinners, also cheap.It gives good long lasting gloss off the gun. And being 2pak wont fade in two weeks.
Ive painted cars in it and I can tell you there is very little difference between that and $100 ltr paints, plus hardner etc.I had a car I painted a year ago back for some touch us and its every bit as glossy as when if left, and it sits outside all the time.

gunhand, Sep 26, 9:58am
Do you want it to last! or are you selling it!
My advice would be get hold of some CV 2k. Its cheap,$200 will get you 4ltr of colour and the hardner. And thats 3 times as much as you would need 4 a 6x4. So 1ltr would be cheaper still.Oh and you will need a ltr of thinners, also cheap.It gives good long lasting gloss off the gun. And being 2pak wont fade in two weeks.
Ive painted cars in it and I can tell you there is very little difference between that and $100 ltr paints, plus hardner etc.I had a car I painted a year ago back for some touch ups and its every bit as glossy as when if left, and it sits outside all the time.

rob_man, Sep 26, 9:59am
Caprithane is a two pack material with an isocyanate hardener so be aware of the toxicity issues.

franc123, Sep 26, 10:07am
Normal lacquer would be fine, the only thing is its not as scratch resistant as the hardener type coatings.

edangus, Sep 26, 10:08am
Cold Galv.

gunhand, Sep 26, 10:13am
I see your in Invers, Go see Coating Supplies across from Romco Tools. Oh and the price I gave you was trade but it still works out cheap anyway.
You will need only 2 good coats to get good coverage as aposed to 4 to 6 for Dulon type paints. And its easy to use if you hav any experince at all with painting.
And is this a already primed up trailer or pre painted!

gunhand, Sep 26, 10:13am
I see your in Invers, Go see Coating Supplies across from Romco Tools. Oh and the price I gave you was trade but it still works out cheap anyway.
You will need only 2 good coats to get good coverage as aposed to 4 to 6 for Dulon type paints. And its easy to use if you hav any experince at all with painting.
And is this a already primed up trailer or pre painted!

Im off now till bout 9 tomorrow night if you want to know more, but others here certainly know there stuff as well.

pollymay, Sep 26, 11:35am

trader_84, Sep 26, 7:04pm
Ps. Our letter box has bullet holes in it too.

splinter67, Sep 26, 7:08pm
I think the boobies help as well lol

morrisjvan, Sep 26, 8:28pm
wooden trailer! steel trailer! new trailer!rough trailer!

supernova2, Sep 26, 8:32pm
trader_84 wrote:
.99.9% of them have a measured lifespan and absolutely will not be around in current form in a couple of decades. .

I assume you are referring to that strange "growth" falling out the door.If so I can guarantee it will not be in its current form ina couple of decades.

paddyman, Sep 27, 5:42am
Steel trailer, been painted before but starting to look a bit shabby 8x4. I will be keeping it, and probably spray it myself.

morrisjvan, Sep 27, 5:52am
just get a tin of enamel house paint from the recycling yard at the dump and slop that on. I've sprayed both of mine with some multiversal and while it's not the most hardwaring it tidies them up no end and makes them look legit !

gammelvind, Sep 27, 8:26am
Most things are helped with boobies!

tim41, Sep 28, 6:13am
get it sand blasted and galvinised,you be surprized how cheap it is,no more worries

hatchback, Sep 28, 6:18am
Dulux super enamel thinned with GP thinners does a reasonable job, the last 5 of my work cars have been done that way, lasts about 3yrs, just needs a polish once a year to take away the chalking

trader_84, Sep 28, 6:52am
Galv is nice but its not cheap and there is some prep work that needs to be undertaken prior to hotdipping plus . your axles will need to be thought about - really. The pro's have a sequence and a couple of little tricks when building the axles for a galv'd trailer. Doing it backwards will run you the risk that you end up trying to chip/scrap galv from out of the stub threads and drilling out close fitting holes etc. Galving is a nasty process for sure. Just look at any tin work anywhere near a hotdipping operation. You'll be paying around $1.85 a kg at a pop. Can't be beat for longevity though.