BMW 318 TI

sunbunny1967, Oct 7, 4:16am
Thinking of buying one.
Does anyone have one!
Reliable!/
What are they like!

monaro17, Oct 7, 4:23am
I wouldn't touch cheap BMW's- they are cheap for a reason. If you're insistent on a small European go for Audi or VW

monaro17, Oct 7, 4:26am
And before anyone asks- I have not owned one however my sister has had this model. Within 2 months of ownership the electric windows all needed work, the central locking packed up and the alarm had a mind of it's own.

sunbunny1967, Oct 7, 5:39am
perhaps she got a lemon! could happen with any car.including Audi or VW

monaro17, Oct 7, 6:15am
This is true- but the other offerings are better imo.

foto-gifts, Oct 7, 12:03pm
Fun little car, good economy and great handling. Just get the cooling system checked and watch for sagging headliners.

clairbell, Oct 7, 3:48pm
Terrible cars. So much to go wrong with them. Every little thing has a sensor, if that sensor packs up (nothing wrong with the car) you won't get a warrant and you find yourself paying hundreds of dollars every time. Transmissions are scrap also. Only good thing is they handle well.

clairbell, Oct 7, 3:57pm
Must mention that I had the 323 and tried to talk a friend out of buying a 318. She insisted in buying it and had a good run fir 6 months then other started to cost big time. I paid 15,000 for mine and 3 years later sold it for 1,000 because of all the faults I couldn't be bothered fixing.

hi-ling, Oct 8, 1:30am
First off I wouldnt look at an Audi of VW in the price range youd be looking at. They have notorious transmission problems, and WILL cost a fortune. The 318TI is a neat little car and if maintained will last as long and be no more expensive to maintain that anything jap of the same era. Sure its the bottom spec of all the beemers but it still retains german build quality, and thats way superior to anything japanese in the same price range. They have faults like all cars, but if you a a good local garage and not a beemer dealer, then they're fine. 1 common fault is the cooling system, they have plastic fittings attaching the water outlet to the back of the head and a plastic thermastat housing. After 10-12 years these get brittle and split, dumping your coolant. The parts are cheap, about,($140, for the lot, plus labour) and anyone buying any older beemer should replace they straight away. The cars are very easy to work on, and alot of parts are interchangeable thru the models. If you like 1 get it checked out, not by AA but by someone you trust, then gor for it. they are a cool car and my missus loves hers.