Jazz, help with a project idea

mrfxit, Oct 4, 9:32pm
1988 Hilux Surf/ 2 door/ 2.4 turbo diesel

What euro drive train would suit it best
Diff's (front & back) / engine/ gear box combo
The idea is to source a write off thats mechanically intact.

Easy on the pocket. or in other words >>>>
Best options of cheap / reliable + easy to source parts/cheap to run/ reasonable on power/torque.
Performance handling isn't an issue to start with, as that can be fixed "on the fly" mostly.

Not asking forthe "best of the best" options, but rather a "best bang for the buck" sort of thing with a touch of simplicity.

sifty, Oct 5, 12:21am
I would use a jaguar V12 with Hillman Hunter 4 speed auto and Morris Marina suspension and brakes.

that would be AWESOME.

supernova2, Oct 5, 12:44am
But then you would just have a Jaunterina which sounds as obscene as it would actually be.

sifty, Oct 5, 2:56am
well played.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 5, 3:33am
I think its a great concept, and one I have pondered myself in past.

Obviously common rail diesel is the way to go if you can get it to work, otherwise you may as well just drop a 1KZ in it.

I wouldn't get so hung up on best option for parts etc, most are pretty good. I think the bigger issue is going to be what's going to fit, wire up and bolt up the easiest. Then, if you have a short list pick the best from there.

I think this would likely be one of those labour of love type projects as opposed to something that is worthwhile from an economic/time perspective. So make sure you are comfortable with that, I don't think its going to be make things fit and drop it in like a 350 Chev or old school Diesel. There are going to be sensors to fool, wiring and ecu to sort and worst case scenario even a remap or alternative ecu.

Where to start!

I would actually spend some time on Google, do so me searches on things like "Hilux Mercedes Conversion" etc

I have a gut feeling that Mercedes might be the engine of choice here, but I could be wrong. I don't think Fiat will be very good given they are pretty much all designed for east/west FWD.

VW Group may be another one, lots of diesels setup for 4WD from VW. You could likely get a written off Allroad or similar fairly easily too, although if I had a choice I would personally go with the 2.0 rather than the 2.5 found in the Allroad.

I would be super keen to hear how you get on with this. You would potentially have a pretty decent truck out of it. There is a part of me that would try and find a way to fit the little 1.3 Multijet and remap it for more power, just to make it the ultimate scourge of the Toyota community, especially when you leave other Hilux's behind at the lights.

Realistically though, you may as well go for a decent amount of power and the easiest conversion possible.

Have fun!

(BTW, if this turns out to be all to hard and you just want a cheap economical and reliable 4WD, why not import yourself a Fiat Panda 4x4 from the U.K!, not much good for hauling big loads but heaps of fun and quite capable)

thejazzpianoma, Oct 5, 3:46am
Actually. you know what would be fun!
Touareg V10 Diesel!

They are not even that thirsty for what they are (probably similar diesel consumption to what you get a the moment) and you would have obscene amount of pulling power, 800Nm of Torque!

Likely be a bit of a mission squeezing it in though. but think of the fun!

The more I think about this the more I think getting something that bolts up to your existing transmission might be easiest. But really, I have never mucked about with 4WD conversions at all so I might be talking out my rear on that one.

Wish I could offer more useful help on this, I really like the concept.

EDIT, this might be worth a read,
I just had a quick scroll through, I suspect they are using the last of the non common rail diesels but havn't really looked.
http://www.hpamotorsports.com/tdijeep.htm

msigg, Oct 5, 4:12am
Best engine to put in there is a 3.8 commy, search australia, they seem to have done conversions over there.

snoopy221, Oct 5, 4:25am
Thought the ole hilux was the best thing since sliced bread!

thejazzpianoma, Oct 5, 4:47am
LMAO!
Only if your world of experience starts and ends with old Japanese Diesels.

BTW, what's your favorite thing about the Toyota 2.4!

The high fuel consumption, complete lack of power, tendency to crack heads or the absurdly short service interval!

You can pick more than one if you like!

mrfxit, Oct 5, 5:44am
Average about 9 /9.5ltr to 100kms
8K oil changes x 5 ltr + filter = average$60
Averaging $30 fuel between Hamilton & Rotorua, not mucking about & not having any hassles with hills etc.

Not to shabby for what appears to be an untouched 24 year old engine & design.
Been a contractors truck for part of it's life.

Still tho, yes I do totally realise it's getting tired & in a lot of ways would love to repower it to something a lot more modern but currently nothing Toyota made, has the life span or minimal repair/ maintenance costs of this ol girl.

zephyrheaven, Oct 5, 5:46am
1UZ FFS

mrfxit, Oct 5, 5:51am
It was a dirty mess when I brought it 3 years ago & a serious lack of any maintenance but it flew through it's 1st wof & has done ever since.

Had some funny shite like just after I brought it, we took it loaded up 4 adults/ camping gear down to Nelson/ Hanmer Springs (Hanmer via Rainbow valley) & didn't have any issues what so ever but about 2 months after we got back, the driveshaft started vibrating.

ONE bearing cross later & away again.
The odd thing about the drive shaft bearing was that 3 pins were still good, but 1 pin was totally rusted/ NO NEEDLES /NO grease, Nothing but the rusty cup & rusty pin.
Can't understand to this day why it didn't vibrate way earlier then it did

mrfxit, Oct 7, 8:11am
LMAO today.
Trusty old Toyota Surf came to the rescue again.
Used the ol girl to help fix a VW Passet that had been backed in to a pole.