4 Wheel Drive Whats The Best Near New.

Page 2 / 2
gunhand, Oct 3, 8:47am
Makes alot of sence when you put it like that.And I know a guy with a NEW Colarado, had it about a month. New gearbox.

skiff1, Oct 4, 7:48pm
As for common rails, they are absolutely a must. The power curve, fuel consumption, and noise levels are all so much improved I really can't speak highly enough. My two rangers have done nearly 200000 km in the last five years and neve missed a beat. We regularly use the utes to pull silage wagons between farms, trailer loads of sheep or cattle weighing 2.5 tonne or more and portable cattlyards whic are even heavier. Only thing I would say I dislike is the fact the front bumpers seem to be held on with tissue paper

mykl, Oct 5, 6:57am
Consider a Kia Sorento, not the current version with the R series diesel but the Gen 2 of the previous version. 2.5 litre diesel producing 125kw and just under 400 nm. Have got a 2800kg towing capacity. Also have ladder chassis, whereas the current model went to monocoque and can now only tow 2000kg

oakie, Oct 5, 8:00pm
Have you considered a late model Toyota Highlander! that would do the job

horses7, Oct 8, 11:44pm
Looking at a 2009 Nissan Pathfinder has anybody had any trouble with there's.

kiwi_fisherman, Oct 28, 9:38am
Go with a Jeep. Tow anything and in comfort.

horses7, Oct 29, 3:02am
Thanks everybody for your input we've decided to keep our 3.2 Terrano for towing and we've bought a new Suzuki Swift Sport and its CHOICE.

kiwi_fisherman, Oct 31, 10:31am
horses7 I work at a place that has Suzuki swifts as fleet cars. A memo has just come out stating that the Swifts have a design flaw. Apparently there is a problem with water getting in to the handbrake mechanism causing the rear brakes to seize on from rust. Don't know if your Swift sport has drum or disc rear. Anyway the recommendation from the manufacturer is not to leave the vehicle parked for any length of time with the handbrake applied. They suggest just putting the vehicle in Park. Suppose in the case of a manual, in gear. Other than that they seem to be ok and pretty economical. Make sure you change the batteries in your remote once a year. Remotes seem to be hard on batteries.

beefella, Nov 1, 5:48am
And the cool part is you still have the horses to finish the journey on after the euro tow vehicle has defecated itself.

retyre_, Nov 1, 5:53am
I've had most models from VW Tourageto Suzukis Vitara and all the Toyota Landcruisers. For what you are towing you cannot beat the 80 series landcruiser 4.2 deisel automatic.

lazzo, Nov 1, 8:42am
Personally I think the late model Mitsubishi Pajero is fantastic value, beautiful to drive, has all the bells and whistles, more factory fitted off road technology and capability than any other manufacturer can claim, will tow ANYTHING you put on the back without an HT licence.

steve-007, Nov 1, 9:40am
Just interested to Jazzmans thoughts on the new nissan with the renault engine.! from what you say they should be good engines in them!

tazcsv, Nov 1, 10:10pm
With you on that, we have a 80 series 4.2td auto and while its not the fastest out there it will tow ant weight you want like it has nothing on behind. I tow my boat easy and the wife has a horse float that holds x3 horses and it tows that great. I would never tow heavy loads with anything smaller.

matarautrader, Nov 2, 4:48am
Don't forget that if you have a diesel the weight on your RUC sticker will have to cover the weight of the vehicle AND whatever you are towing. And if its more than 4500kg all up you need a HT licience to drive it.

steph1211, Nov 2, 6:29am
hilux

cone1, Nov 2, 8:02am
Most people with smaller 4wd'sgenerally overload them when towing things like horse floats and boats. Although the police tend to turn a blind eye at the towing rates your insurance company won't if you have an accident with a vehicle that's overloaded. Check the tow rate of your new vehicle against the load your towing.

orca123, Nov 2, 8:35am
As a weekly horse float tow-er (with HUGE horses lol) - I've loved my Landrover Discovery TD5. A real easy drive and great towing vehicle, easy up and down the hills and amazing how little diesel it goes through even on the long and windy trips. In saying that, it has cost $$ to keep it serviced etc and any spare parts are usually quite pricey, especially if they need to be brought in from overseas. Because of this we didn't quite keep upto date with regular servicing etc and it has just died a rather sad transmission death that's going to cost serious dollars to repair.
You do not need HUGE engine capacity to tow floats, boats or whatever. A good turbo diesel (ours was a 2.5ltr) does a damn good job. The Landy Discoveries are the most popular towing vehicles back in the UK where fuel costs are premium.
For the rest of the comments about horses and money on this thread - if you don't share your life with horses you will not understand how much they mean to us that do :) And how very little money we actually have because we spend it all on or beloved animals.

coolcort, Nov 3, 6:32am
Nissan Safari one of the best towing vehicles ever made built for hard work and do it so easily .

cone1, Nov 4, 8:26am
100 Series VX Landcruiser 4.2 turbo inter-cooled Diesel with a 3.5 ton tow rate would be the best by far.

busdriverman, Nov 4, 10:04am
I'd agree with that. My Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 litre diesel (a Mercedes common rail turbo intercooled V6) is a great tow wagon for my 2.5 tonne of caravan. Has a 3.5 tonne tow rating.

supernova2, Nov 4, 10:11am
Since when did the RUC on the tow vehicle have to cover the trailer!

carkitter, Nov 4, 2:49pm
The best 4WD! Porsche Cayenne,
Height adjustable suspension, huge sliding glass roof, acres of leather, dual zone air con and some models have up to 500 hp. A bit pricey though.

tazcsv, Nov 4, 8:54pm
I think you will find that they dont.

cone1, Nov 6, 6:44am
Not yet !