Any Ideas re VW Golf gauges not working after jump

gerry64, Sep 30, 12:22am
I jump started my Golf Auto with terminals round wrong way - now rev counter and oil pressure light is flashing and auto wont change gear-
Any ideas!

raymond00001, Sep 30, 12:26am
Ouch sounds like a fault code flash. go to the dealer.

attitudedesignz, Sep 30, 12:26am
Sorry mate, but that wee little mistake is going to cost reasonably big $ to fix.

Don't worry though as the resident VW troll will be along shortly with some advice.

intrade, Sep 30, 12:27am
check all fuses to start with and pray, some guy done this to a 90s renault and it cost him 1500$ in fried equipment .
also find golf forums for more clues but first step are all fuses.last resort is a good auto electrical place. dont know where in australia you are nor where there would be a good place.

johnf_456, Sep 30, 12:28am
Don't worry op, parts are cheap and very easy to source because they don't break ever apparently.

attitudedesignz, Sep 30, 12:30am
Son did it with his '88 Starlet and it cost him an alternator rebuild. Hate to think what it's done to a car with plenty of electronics.

intrade, Sep 30, 12:41am
if fuses are ok make sure you have the radio code . then disconnect the battery from the car for 30 minutes and see what it does when you reconnect it. My vw has had no request for radio code but i also got the diagnostic to get the code if it needed it.

kazbanz, Sep 30, 12:43am
Im thinking theres a chance its spiked the ecu

franc123, Sep 30, 12:49am
Yep get the AA to do it next time if you don't know what you are doing, much cheaper. A check of all the fuses and fusible links if the car has them is the first thing to do and hope and pray the instrument cluster, among other things, hasn't been damaged. With any luck the gear change issue has been caused by the loss of the speedo signal.

sr2, Sep 30, 1:08am
Hate to be the one to say it but I wouldn't be suprised.

00quattro00, Sep 30, 1:23am
What model golf!

gerry64, Sep 30, 1:26am
cheers everyone - will go and diconnect battery for half an hour - fuses etc have been checked by auto electrician - VW dealer checked ecu is OK but cant pinpoint problem with rev counter and gear box on their coomputer as it wont talk to my car!

kokako14, Sep 30, 1:31am
As the Ad on TV says.'Sounds Like a Golf'

gerry64, Sep 30, 1:34am
Its a 1998 2 Litreauto GL

gerry64, Sep 30, 2:50am
battery disconnect didnt work - anymore ideas

supernova2, Sep 30, 3:02am
"Won't talk to my car" to me means yours car's electronics are fried.I too know of a Renault that had that sort of problem (test gear not talking to car) and as far as I know that car was scrapped as the problem was never located.i assume that a VW could be just as complex however IMHO there has to be someone somewhere who has the expertise to locate the fault and i believe it's something that a VW dealer should be able to organise.

msigg, Sep 30, 3:27am
Just take it to an auto sparky, they will soon tell you what is wrong.

00quattro00, Sep 30, 3:30am
Id say its fried the rev counter and tcu

intrade, Sep 30, 3:31am
well you know what caused it so it should not be terrible hard to fix by a professional auto electrition as the damage would be from reversed power . find a good one not morons to fix your car, dont know how bad australia is for that .

gerry64, Sep 30, 6:38am
have been to the VW dealer and two auto electricians - the last auto elecrician tell me I need to get a copy of the relevant page of theworkshop manual for the car for him to fix it -

intrade, Sep 30, 6:59am
haynes manual got wiring diagrams i got a german version and its for the diesel the one i own. vw agent should also be able to supply it.

gerry64, Sep 30, 7:04am
cheers intrade

m16d, Sep 30, 7:07am
Jeeze. how can you hook up the jumper leads the wrong way.!
Like there's two colours. red and black.

supernova2, Sep 30, 7:18am
I saw it done once by an idiot.Blew the battery to bits.