Motorbike doesn't trigger the lights.

Page 1 / 2
moby, Oct 8, 9:31am
None of my bikes, even the latest, which is a big Trumpy, trigger the lights at the end of my street. No issue during the week - a car almost always shows up. Weekend is a different matter - it can get real quiet and many complete cycles of lights before a car shows up. I usualy wait one complete cycle then go when clear, ignoring the lights. One day Mr Plod will ping me. What is the legal situation here.

pebbles61, Oct 8, 9:38am
Not entirely sure, going by this the flith will try and do you for it.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/local-papers/the-wellingtonian/5115335/Scooters-avoiding-red-light-cameras

Even on my motorcycle I fail to set some off, wtf am I meant to do! oh they say park the bike and hit the ped crossing.ok what if i'm facing downhill! =/

motorboy2011, Oct 8, 11:06am
I have a super strong magnet on the bottom of my bike, that triggers most lights. you canalso ring the council and tell them what lights arent working foryou, they can adjust them to pick up bikes.

bitsy_boffin, Oct 8, 11:23am
If it's a frequent problem, notify the council.

If you run the red, even if you are very careful, in NZ you're breaking the law.Some other places in the world recognise that this is a problem and allow going through a red if done carefully.

You could try the magnet trick, if it actually works or is a placebo effect is another question.

Personally my favourite when I did a lot of night riding was to come up to the lights at a good speed and lock the rear so the bike squatted while going over the sense coil :-)

Or of course if there is a pedestrian crossing, put the bike on the stand and go hit the button.

davidgb, Oct 8, 12:25pm
I used to put the bike on the kickstand to trigger the sensors.

the-lada-dude, Oct 8, 5:48pm
i used to get up to 100k , then just viscously lay the bike down onto the tarmac,if that didn't trigger the lights, the ambulance and fire crew did.

morrisman1, Oct 8, 6:41pm
a neodymium magnet is what you want apparently. They can be found in computer harddrives. Windsor brass also have a pair for holding doors closed. Its about $30 and mitre 10 should be able to get it for you.

whqqsh, Oct 8, 6:49pm
find an old knackered microwave oven, inside is a magnetron that will have 2 very powerful neodymium magnets & in a doughnut shape so easy to wire or cable tie under your bike. BTW dont put them together unless your fingers are clear of the contacting edges, Ive seen a few ppl with up to 10 blood blisters by doing this (one for each fingertip & thumbs)

danchop, Oct 8, 8:15pm
i just pull the clutch in and operate the starter,never had a set of lights not change for me doing that but it may just be luck

intrade, Oct 8, 8:30pm
even some lights with cars you got to poke your nose over the white line half way in the pedestrian crossing to get them to see you. ah yea and they did now started to add arrows to some of the traffic light where you had no chance of turning since the giveway rules changed only noticed 1 of loads more do. since we talk lights.

trogedon, Oct 8, 8:37pm
Ha, ha.
(no wonder so many cyclists sail through them, not me of course).

spead, Oct 9, 8:19am
what has the "legal situation" got to do with anything! There is no legal situation.

gypsy271, Oct 9, 8:25am
Lol that happens to me all the time so I either run the red light (note this is at 3am and rush hour traffic) or I ride up to crossing button and hit that or reverse and plant my foot jamming on the brakes (not good on a rainy day) or I get my passenger to jump off and hit crossing button

clampits, Oct 9, 8:53am

moby, Oct 9, 9:55am
There sure as hell is if you get pinged by plod running the red.

pnh4, Oct 9, 12:30pm
Yeah thats what I do,,

sandypheet, Oct 9, 5:42pm
Nothing stopping you pushing it around the corner.

sifty, Oct 9, 7:00pm
get a bigger bike.

I'm picking the Rocket III should do the job.

matthew111, Oct 9, 7:52pm
the legal situation is running a red light is wrong.

fryan1962, Oct 9, 8:21pm
You could screw a small magnet on your boot

hutchk, Oct 9, 8:47pm
You could go on a massive weight gain program and turn in to a huge fatty.

the-lada-dude, Oct 9, 8:57pm
ORhow about a beautiful naked female as pillion. you'll get the weight gain, and if that don't work, no one will notice the red light !

jgig23, Oct 12, 2:59pm
I had a bunch of 20 cyclists (pack riding) in front of me at the lights and they just sat there and the lights wouldn't change, I yelled out the window told them to get off the fffng sensor, they looked at me like I was crazy and abused me back, I yelled again pointing at the road. They all took off through the red light. hahahaha

granada, Oct 12, 10:30pm
Wear steel capped boots.

purple666, Oct 12, 11:01pm
Get a real bike.
Problem solved.