Help with 12v batteries and DC to AC inverters

amphib, Oct 18, 3:06am
Is there somewhere in Auckland I can hire these.Looking to power some equipment in the Santa Parade. I understand I need a 12V battery and an inverter.Any suggestions please :)

wind.turbine, Oct 18, 3:24am
how much power do you need!
keep in mind that using a dc to ac inverter sucks alot of power form you battery so if you don't have a beg enough or alot of battery it wont last long

amphib, Oct 18, 3:54am
We have a couple of machines need powering - bubbles, snow, smoke etc. They range from 25W to 3000W, I will need five setups since they are all on different floats.Looks like it could be an expensive exercise - unless I can hire some from somewhere.

tmenz, Oct 18, 4:42am
25 Watts can be easily supplied by a battery and inverter.
3000 Watts is another story - you'd be better off with a quiet inverter type generator for this!
The major hire companies should be able to supply you with all that you need.

mechnificent, Oct 18, 6:29am
Yup, for 3000 watts get a generator.

amphib, Oct 18, 7:38am
thanks for this info :)
They won't allow generators on the floats this year as we've supplied previously - as little kids etc sit on the floats.
Will need to look into suppliers of inverters and batteries - ideally we can hire them from someone.

gammelvind, Oct 18, 7:48am
Getting the batteries could be a problem, your 3000 watt item would need a huge battery bank, probably about $3000 worth.
Your 25 watt item could probably run for a few hours off a car battery.
Remember though that the battery will be damaged if run below 50% charge, consequently finding a hirer would be a challenge.
Good luck.

ceebee2, Oct 19, 1:16am
Surely you could build a gen holder under the float out of the way of anything.

mechnificent, Oct 19, 2:22am
3000 watts is a huge load. how long do you need to run that for and what is it! An electric motor I'm thinking. If you could do away with that, perhaps make someone wind a handle(haha), the rest of the loads should be easy to manage off batteries. Go see a trucking company and ask if they would loan you some batteries.

amphib, Oct 19, 2:30am
Yep, its a super powered 3000W smoke machine.The parade is around an hour long.
The problem is as the machines usually just plug into regular mains voltage - 230v AC, I need to find some inverters to attach to the batteries.

Space on most of the floats is limited - as most are just large decked trailers - so difficult to hide/seperate the generators