Help - Broken rear sway bar endlink. Dangerous?

skyline_guy_r34, Oct 14, 7:49am
Car is a 04 hyndai tiburon.

Passenger side rear sway bar endlink snapped driving home (on a very cruisy corner). The mount on the strut broke and now the endlink is hanging there by the swaybar link.

NEED to get to work in the morning and the car is the only way to get there. Am i safe to drive the trip to work (approx 20kms no more than 70kph and can take all cornering softly to help). And then find a mechanic in the area to grind off the old tab and weld a new one in place.

Just need to make sure its going to be safe to drive it tomorrow

morrisman1, Oct 14, 7:56am
should be good as long as its not going to jam anything. Expect it to understeer at the limit I think.

a.woodrow, Oct 14, 7:57am
She'll lean a bit more into the corners, no biggie. can remove it entirely without any major adverse effect

skyline_guy_r34, Oct 14, 7:57am
Yeah think i might just take that endlink off to avoid it hitting anything. Its the partners car and whilst she can be quite a spirited driver. She will drive so softly if i tell her she needs to i think it should be fine!

chebry, Oct 14, 9:26am
No big deal it may not turn in so crash hot but its ok to drive it

cowlover, Oct 14, 11:13am
Just to rain on your parade I don't think it legal to weld a suspension component.Could be wrong.

supernova2, Oct 15, 11:15am
How'd you get on!

pigdog_custom, Oct 17, 9:24am
yes it is dangerous as it makes the car unpredictable

a.woodrow, Oct 17, 9:36am
The vehicle still moves predictably, it will just roll more. Sway bars transmit roll force to the opposite side in turning, under normal driving the effect is fairly low

supernova2, Oct 17, 9:55am
I had a wagon once that the front bar was missing.It was OK but didnt leave it like that for long.2nd hand bar and about 15mins work.Totally transformed the drive.

mrfxit, Oct 17, 7:57pm
LOL NUH, just predictable in a different way.
Grew up when cars didn't have them, even my Surf doesn't have sway bars & it's fine on corners.

mrfxit, Oct 17, 7:58pm
True (I think) for 99% of suspension components.
But thats just to stop dimwits home welding critical stress parts
Some parts are allowed to be heat treated/ reformed/ straightened but need to be prettied up correctly or face a bunch of questions when getting a wof done