Can you guess why my cars broken down!

Page 1 / 2
ari40, Oct 10, 8:19pm
I know almost NOTHING about cars so here goes. A couple of weeks ago my transmission started playing up straight after using a trailor to tow a couple of couches, taking off in drive is like taking off in 3rd in a Manuel but if i went 1st, 2nd, 3rd then drive it felt fine, then I realised my oil was very low so topped it up 5 litres (3-4 days ago) then today i was driving out in the country & all of a sudden my car wouldn't accelerate and there was smoke spewing out the rear end, the car sounded fine & when I pulled over & turned it off all the smoke went away but came straight back when i turned the car on.Anyone know what could be wrong! thanks

a.woodrow, Oct 10, 8:20pm
make model and year!

kazbanz, Oct 10, 8:23pm
1) youve lost the auto clutch pack for first.
2) too much oil

ari40, Oct 10, 8:24pm
opel vectra 97

a.woodrow, Oct 10, 8:27pm
yep you've overfilled it with oil, they dont hold 5L, not even from empty. take it to a garage and get them to drain and refill to the correct amount, then test again

modie61, Oct 10, 8:28pm
Heres my guess.
1 - You have a faulty govenenor sensor in auto trans.
2 -You have over filled either the engine oil or Trans oiland its blowing the oil out.

ari40, Oct 10, 8:35pm
is agovenenor sensor expensive! did a little google search & that sounds like it could be it

modie61, Oct 10, 8:38pm
You would have to ring a Holden dealer i think,mind you im only guessing thats the problem,i had one fail in a Nissan Sunny.

ari40, Oct 10, 8:41pm
how much did it cost u! just want a ballpark figure or a guess

friendly_prawn, Oct 10, 8:42pm
Its' probably your internal melcher.Try taking a hubcap off on the left hand side of the car and restart and tell us if that makes any difference. If not, you may need to look at a new tappet cover.

ari40, Oct 10, 8:46pm
I havnt got the car its on the side of the road waiting to be picked up

mk3zephyr, Oct 10, 8:49pm
I laugh at people who talk as if their car is like a light switch, ie turning it on and turning it off.

friendly_prawn, Oct 10, 8:50pm
cant you get some one to pull a hubcap off for you! Try asking the towie.

ari40, Oct 10, 8:54pm
my uncles a mechanic - hes going to pick it up & take it to his shop, ill txt him to do it. they short staffed today so he said it will take awhile before he can send someone down to fetch it. No doubt hell find out whats wrong with it i just cant wait! and it could take him ages to get round to it.

ari40, Oct 10, 8:55pm
and more importantly i wanna know how much its going to cost

modie61, Oct 10, 8:55pm
Well done,you should have asked him first.

friendly_prawn, Oct 10, 8:56pm
cool, it will help him to diagnose the problem. Tell him to also rotate the back one 30 degrees then put it back on. That might get the melcher firing up. Could solve your problem. Good luck.

a.woodrow, Oct 10, 8:58pm
Hope you don't need a new Melcher, they don't come cheap!

ari40, Oct 10, 8:59pm
Yes he told me off for not telling him as soon as the transmission was playing up

friendly_prawn, Oct 10, 9:01pm
yep, as a.woodrow says. hope it's not your melcher. Very very expensive fix. That will teach you though, never buy a car with a melcher. Look for a better model next time.good luck.

ari40, Oct 10, 9:03pm
wtf is a melcher! hope ur not taking the piss lol i try googling it it comes up with nothing

friendly_prawn, Oct 10, 10:42pm
gee, why does everybody not me. It's a technical term. you wont find it on google. Just ask your Uncle to rotate the hubcaps for you. he'll know what you mean. Or do it yourself if you get the chance. \
No need to thank me, I just love helping people. Im that kind of person. :-)

m16d, Oct 10, 10:46pm
Might be one a them new electric cars.

un_known, Oct 10, 11:23pm
alot of people do see them as just appliances.ya get in turn it on go where u want turn it off. Its only when it doesnt "turn on" that people think about whats underneath the bonnet.sad but true

mellisa2000, Oct 10, 11:58pm
Next to your waffle sprocket