Toyota 3SFE broken cam belt

blue_meanie, Dec 14, 8:20am
This just happened today on our 93 Vista, has anyone had experience with this happening on this type of motor! is a non interference type motor!

mugenb20b, Dec 14, 8:21am
Every one I've seen with a broken cambelt lived. I haven't seen one yet that caused damage.

franc123, Dec 14, 8:22am
Yes they are, I've never seen one get damaged by a belt failure.Make sure you get the water pump changed as well as the belt and tensioners etc, the pumps often pack it in not long after belt replacement.Also get whoever will be doing the job to change the seal in behind the oil pump housing if they don't know to do this already.

mellisa2000, Dec 14, 10:38am
Fit new seals and w/pump, time engine fit new belt, drive. Easy as that.

blue_meanie, Dec 14, 6:04pm
thanks for the feedback

nzdreamer, Dec 16, 11:06pm
Use thread locker on the oil pump gear nut and as said replace the oil pump housing oil seal, oil pump shaft seal, crankshaft oil seal. Also a good time to replace the water pump, idler bearing and tensioner bearing.
I tried to replace the camshaft oil seal but ran into trouble removing the bearing cap so I left it alone. It won't leak much/any oil from the top of the engine anyway.

phillip.weston, Dec 17, 12:47am
yeah of all the 3S engines I've done I've left the cam seal - you just basically can't access it easily short of lifting the engine up quite a bit or getting a right angle air ratchet in there.

ceebee2, Dec 17, 1:23am
Over my 30+ years as an Auto Tech have had approx 6 vehicles including european ones that have survived with broken cam belts.

mugenb20b, Dec 17, 3:11am
And how many have you had that died! 20+ years ago, most engines were free running type.

franc123, Dec 17, 8:32am
3S cam seals can be changed easily if you have or can make up an installer tool for the new seal, not hard to do.The installation does have to be done with a fair bit of care as these particular seals are for some reason a very tight fit in the bore.