318i bmw. going when I drove home. then broken

Page 1 / 2
rugby.sista, Sep 13, 9:55am
down in my driveway.

What the heck!'95 bmw 318i. drove it home no probs. half an hour later, jumped in to duck up to the dairy. and it wont start.

I'm a non mechanical girl, so forgive my description.If you have any ideas, please share them.

It is charging fine.I checked all the belts, and they are still there.I turn the key, and it turns over straight away, then konks out a second later.Last few times it started to shudder before konking out.I checked oil and water and all ok.

Hahaha. I just re - read my description, and it sounds rediculous, but I dont think I can describe it better.

Help!Whats wrong with my bomb!!

foxdonut, Sep 13, 10:05am
Maybe air flow meter or computer. It sounds like the sort of problem that'll need someone to look at it on site - diagnosing the problem over the Internet (at night) probably isn't going to happen.

My guess is a sensor that tells the cars computer how much air is flowing through the system so it'll run or maybe fuel related - pump etc.

male_timaru, Sep 13, 10:15am
Common for this to happen when they do give out - ring a reliable auto sparky in your area and get them to look at it - they'll pop the diagnosis tool into computer and see what errors come up

rugby.sista, Sep 13, 10:17am
thanks, foxdonut. moments like this, is when I wish my dad lived in town!

rugby.sista, Sep 13, 10:20am
thank you.

Anyone know one in the New Lynn kind of area!otherwise I'll be just picking any old one from the yellow pages.

rugby.sista, Sep 13, 11:02am
I just googled my car model and starting issues. and this came up.

"Just blown bulbs.

Apparently if both brake light bulbs are out the ECU will not allow the engine to start, who would have thought it."

Please let it be this!Wishful thinking, I know.I know one of my brakelights is out.

scoobeey, Sep 13, 11:13am
But you say "The engine will start and then conks out":))

rugby.sista, Sep 13, 11:34am
lol. I dont know how to explain it better without sound effects.It sparks up straight away.but the minute I turn the key back. it konks out.It doesnt turn over.Oh never mind. I'll get someone to check it out.

saxman99, Sep 14, 7:33am
Try and start it with the gas pedal on a bit. If it runs ok then you may have a faulty idle control valve.

I've never heard of the brake light thing, doesn't sound right.!

It does sound like a fuel delivery problem, the fuel pumps are known to be a bit short-lived on the bimmers.

Hth.

ringo2, Sep 14, 7:50am
More euro junk.

male_timaru, Sep 14, 9:14am
Do what i did - go to a BMW Service Mechanic shop and get it diagnosed with the $40-$45 made for the car diagnostic equipmentand see what error codes come back - if none then it needs further investigation (as it will be a mechanical fault)

scoobeey, Sep 14, 10:39am
lol so true my lady has one and the probs omg no onder they goin cheep lol .think i will stick to my trusty corolla with 5 hundy thou on the clock which has NEVER let me down :)))

bob1120, Sep 14, 10:11pm
Wank wank.

bob1120, Sep 14, 10:12pm
Have you had an intellegent thought today!

doug207, Sep 14, 11:15pm
That is not true.
Good luck and I hope it gets sorted
Ignore the Eurotrash comments, Corollas break down often too.

scoobeey, Sep 15, 9:59am
and to you idiot who obviously drives a peice of shite lol :))))

scoobeey, Sep 15, 10:01am
sorry an idiot bmw fix it man hence comment lol :))

bob1120, Sep 15, 10:06am
But you have to admit that your post smacks of severe monkey spankage regardless of how I got rich.

scoobeey, Sep 15, 10:19am
Well my trusty corolla will never be in your garage tosser

bob1120, Sep 15, 7:38pm
It would never happen anyway.
I dont work on worn out cars that belong to opinionated morons, although many people do travel from further than Putaruru to get their cars fixed properly by me.
Putaruru, thats gotta be an awesome place to live, nearly as awesome as a 500k Corolla!

scoobeey, Sep 15, 7:49pm
Like to see a beamer with 5hundy thou on with NO major work done.Thats whyyou work on them lol:))))

thunderbolt, Sep 15, 8:39pm
Some of us have enough ambition to drive something nicer and safer.
If your life is only worth $500, and with $26 brake pads, I guess it is, then that is up to you.
If that is all you can afford, then I hope circumstances improve for you soon.

steph1211, Sep 15, 9:23pm
318's 4 ya!

300, Sep 15, 10:09pm
Maybe ignition barrel/Switch faulty - Not making contact when you let it roll back to RUN possy!
Does it fire give it a rev when you let go of the key see what happens

bob1120, Sep 16, 12:15am
Dammit, I wasnt going to give anymore advice on here, I was only going to take the piss out of morons, but its the fuel pump like Saxman said. Beat the tank under the R/H side with a block of wood while winding it over & drive it to the garage for a new one.