Honda Auto Trans Problem?

nzanthony, Oct 14, 2:58am
My 2000 Oydessey (100000km) kind of jumps or clunks as I shift from N to D. It does this about 50 % of the time. Upon inspection of ATF the level was very high and I removed 800ml of fluid (it had a fluid change recently by previous owner). The 'clunk as I describe it is still there. Does anyone know what the issue might be!

jason18, Oct 14, 3:37am
Did you check the ATF with motor running !. Also is it a v6 ! As I know they have gearbox troubles from when I researched getting one.

kazbanz, Oct 14, 3:38am
OP -IMO the fluid change was in order to fix the issue you describe

intrade, Oct 14, 3:48am
uuuuuuhhhhhhhhhcheck what fluids it runs . if it is actuarly atf. and then you also do know you have to have the engine running when you mesure the transmission fluid! removing fluids is never requiredi guess you mesured it with engine off = incorrectly and now have not enough fluid in the box.

msigg, Oct 14, 3:51am
Yes and they do take special fluid, not your normal cheap stuff.

mm12345, Oct 14, 4:08am
A very quick google seems to indicate that with this model, you check ATF level with engine warm but off, and check within 60-90 seconds of turning the engine off.
The OP should be sure he's got the right method (and the right fluid in the box), so be wary of any random advice received in forums (yes-including mine - except the part where I say he'd better find out what the right method is).
And he might have to remove fluid if it was over-filled by the previous owner.

74nova, Oct 14, 6:00am
Sound just like a typical Honda transmission. Honda doesn't know how to build transmissions to last the distance.

strobo, Oct 14, 6:28am
Fluid is dropping back into the box from the torque converterabout 2 litres , bringing the level up on the measuring stick.
Has definately gotprobs im not gonna say what . butcertain parts need replacing !

msigg, Oct 14, 6:41am
strobo do youknow about these trans and what needs replaceing!

strobo, Oct 14, 6:48am
Assuming has no drive line play & the last fluid change was at its correct level.

mileyfan73, Oct 14, 6:53am
Not so much the later models,98 onwards,but the earlier ones can easily do 300.000+ kms and still change smoothly.Alot of it is correct maintenance though,like anything mechanical.