Best ute options sub $30k

rcomms, Oct 13, 6:49am
We are looking at purchasing a 4wd ute with canopy, racks etc. our price range is $25-30k but obviously we want to spend the least amount for a good truck.

It is for rural work for our tech so lots of long drives and dirt roads type of thing. I would love a hilux sR5 but double cab is about all you will get in the 150-160kms range. The truck will do around 120k before being retired so higher Ks aren't the end of the world but it needs to be a reliable vehicle and not worried if petrol or diesel.

Is it best to stick to the hilux or look at the BT 50, ranger, dmax or Colorado/rodeo ! We would purchase mechanical insurance/warranty no matter what but even with that is 200kms to high or even 180kms for most of these trucks!

mugenb20b, Oct 13, 7:12am
BT50 / Ranger is a good choice. Hilux is no longer what it used to be, it's piece of shit.
Isuzu D-Max is also a good ute, but the odd one will have a problem with a waste gate, EGR valve and a fuel shut off solenoid.
Rodeo is basically an earlier version of the D-Max, much more basic drivetrain, noisy but bullet proof.
I would even consider a MItsi Triton in that price range.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 13, 7:13am
I second that, the Toyota is grossly over priced and not known for the reliability that people seem to buy them for.

mugenb20b, Oct 13, 7:18am
Excellent question! Do not buy one that was used as a farm vehicle, buy a ute from the city.

The mileage itself is nothing, but most (if not all) farmers' utes get a very hard life, so be prepared to invest some money on consumable items, like CV and uni joints, ball joints, shocks, etc. It can't be avoided.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 13, 7:18am
I think its also worth mentioning, the Ute market in that price range is pretty overheated, in other words you don't get much for your money.

Given you are going to put a Canopy on it anyway, if it were me I would actually take a step back and consider whether a better value SUV type vehicle would surfice!

As much as I don't really like Hyundai Diesels I think I would rather spend 15K on a Kia Sorento than 25K on a Ute of the same year with twice as many km's. You don't have to buy a Kia either, its just one thought.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 13, 7:22am
The other thing I would consider is that you are knocking on the door of Skoda Yeti money. In terms of running costs, reliability and value for money you are miles ahead of the Utes that you are looking at.

Its also exactly what I would be using to chuck gear in and do long distance on gravel roads. So much cheaper to run and far more comfortable and nicer to drive than some of your ute options. I know which I would want to do long drives in.

It may not be big enough or long enough for your tools, but on the off chance it works its well worth mentioning as its just so much more car for your money.

mugenb20b, Oct 13, 7:32am
That's true. However, utes retain their value as everyone wants them.

6 months ago I sold a 1986 petrol Ford Courier ute for $3650. I paid $3200 for it 6 months before. Madness.

rcomms, Oct 13, 7:38am
Thanks, the challenge is there is a real mix in this price range. I am worried about Kms but a 2006,2007 is still a reasonably late model vehicle and with a warranty and service history stand a good chance of a good vehicle for a 100k

Do wonder if a petrol would be better, but hard to find.

rcomms, Oct 13, 7:41am
Looking at SUV for myself, like the highlander but way to flashy for my kind of work. The surf is another option but this is purely for a technician.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 13, 7:43am
Oh I agree the retained value is at least a help. Unfortunately though it still leaves you with more money tied up in a vehicle with higher km's that's often not as economical or comfortable for these long trips.

But hey, the OP is aware of this now and can make up their mind accordingly.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 13, 7:44am
With respect, not much point if you are only going to go and buy a Toyota. You wind up in the same boat of a grossly over priced vehicle that is not anywhere near as good as its cracked up to be.

mugenb20b, Oct 13, 7:49am
The Highlander is very good, but, have a look at a Nissan Murano, much nicer in every way, nice seats and driving position, no cambelt to worry about (although, the lack of a cambelt is not always an advantage) and it has a silky smooth CVT type transmission.

mugenb20b, Oct 13, 7:52am
That's true, but for me, it's always handy to have an old ute sitting around. I sold mine as it wasn't quite what I was after, loking at a flat deck now. Apologies to OP for going off topic.

rcomms, Oct 13, 8:25am
Biggest challenge in SUV is size in back and backseat down, the surf is quite good and Pajero as well. Even looked at the patrol but too pricey.

The BT-50 looks quite decent and I have read good things about the ranger / BT 50.

The one ute I didn't mention was the navara, any thoughts on these at higher Kms.

lazzo, Oct 13, 1:13pm
Mitsubishi Triton are good value at this end of the market, I would also look at Ford Ranger and Nissan Navara. I agree with everyone else in respect of Hilux. An over priced dog.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 13, 9:17pm
Not much point in jumping straight back into the over priced end of the market. The key thing to understand here is that if its a 4WD with a Toyota badge its generally grossly over priced and believe it or not going to be at the lower end of the reliability scale. They have been left well behind when it comes to diesel technology, that's why they are now moving to use Fiat/Peugeot/BMW diesels in some of their vehicles (including commercial).

I would either go cheap and get a Kia as the Korean's are if anything better than the Japanese at diesel technology. Or for the same money get a Mercedes ML, its the same sort of money secondhand (which is crazy given the new price) but a far nice vehicle with a very reliable engine.

Basically when it comes to diesels the European brands are where the reliability/economy/low service costs are at. That's because they sell 60% diesel cars over there and have spent mega amounts on development compared to everyone else. That's why Mercedes/VW/Fiat diesels are used by long haul couriers, posties and the Ambulance service. We are just a little slow to wake up to this in NZ.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 13, 9:24pm
With regard to the original application here, I would also suggest doing the maths carefully. While you want to spend as little as possible, given you are going to do 120K in this vehicle it may may more economical sense (even if financing) to spend $42K on a brand new Amarok Ute that you then sell with 120K on the clock and very little depreciation. (as opposed to an older ute sold with very high km's and very low resale value)

Unusually, this has been the better financial option for some applications where I have done the math. But it depends how quickly you stack on the 120'000km etc. Its well worth doing the math though.

Sorry to skirt around the issue with so many tangents. I have only tried to steer you into checking all other possibilities because you are buying into some of the most over priced vehicles on the market at about the very worst price point. That and you are erring to some of the most over priced in that range that offer the least in return for your money.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

kdcentralni, Oct 13, 9:33pm
Amorak or Ranger both real trucks with rigid ladder chassis truck suspension and engines.

mugenb20b, Oct 13, 9:35pm
OK, I don't know about the latest model, but a lot of 2.5 common rail diesels seem to have a lot of problems after 200k or so (D22 chassis). The timing chains stretch causing all kinds of issues, such as hard to start, engine stalling and lacking power, etc, as well as other problems. Can cost thousands of dollars to get it sorted. Having said that, I have come across Navaras that have done over 300k without any problems.

mugenb20b, Oct 13, 9:39pm
Hilux, Navara, Triton, Actyon, BT50.you name it.they all have ladder frame chassis.

budgel, Oct 13, 9:43pm
Talk to a gearbox reconditioner and ask how many Mazda gearboxes need work once the ks get up.A friend bought one and when the box needed work he found out it was quite common for them to fail.