Golf R32 as Evo IV replacement

Page 2 / 2
thejazzpianoma, Oct 11, 10:08pm
BTW, if anyone buys one of these GTI's feel free to hit me up for some info regarding timing belt and transmission servicing.
Its actually all really easy to do at home (much easier to service a DSG at home than a normal auto). Obviously like any car it is important to service the transmission and engine though. I would back the DSG to survive a lack of servicing better than many auto's but would still avoid one that was long past its service interval without a change.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 11, 10:12pm
Those were a very different kettle of fish. The B5 was really the turn around point IMO for Audi and only the first step towards the better newer cars. I never really warmed to the B5 greatly in any form, also, they didn't like not being maintained. I think they did a much better job of the A6 of that age group though, the A6 starting 1997 is a properly decent car, the facelift 01 onwards Passat was pretty good in some forms too.

That said, you still want to pick a good MK5 Golf and continue maintenance, that's just common sense with any car.

The new model VW/Audi's starting with the MK5 Golf had an enormous amount of money chucked at the design (It was something absurd like quater of a trillion NZD accross the range). They just changed the game entirely and absolutely blew the competitors to the likes of the regular Golf right out of the water. Only now of the last year or so have some of the others caught up. only to be blown out of the water again I suspect with the new Golf coming in a few months.

nzdoug, Oct 11, 10:22pm
A buddyon the North Shore, the guy whos R32 got keyedby the judge 2 years ago! has a tow bar fitted and he does haul 2 jet skis around.
So it is possible, not sure if ABS is harmonized, butdoes the job.
Best bars I think.

lazzo, Oct 11, 11:25pm
Evo X with the SST twin clutch transmission would be a winner for me, driven many times and loved every bit of it.

00quattro00, Oct 12, 8:04am
Dont buy an r32 you will be dissapointed, buy an edition 30 golf instead and do a few simple mods and it will leave an r32 behind and will also handle alot nicer

doug207, Oct 12, 10:08am
Drive everything you can, and think outside the square.
Don't buy a Gold GTi, they're over ratted cars and not much crack at being a GTi when a 10 year old Honda will rip it to shreds.

The R32 and Evo X are hugely different cars, fo me it'd be the Evo as I like the punch the motor has, never really thought much of the R32, a bit boring for a performance car.

serf407, Oct 12, 8:10pm
There are plenty of photos of disintegrated evo 10 engines on the net.
You might have more reliability with a evo 9 with the 4g63 and the steel block etc.
e.g http://youtu.be/Lii_pDGCkE8 and http://youtu.be/dLalCrPUYnI