Mitsi L400 4x4 van

haventrader, Oct 22, 12:22am
I recently bought one of these- cheap. Has the 2.8l diesel motor. Have used it the past 2 weeks and runs fine. A couple of smaller items need attention such as the driver side window not winding down (motor still works) and the radio is a gonner (big deal). Mitsi's seem to get a bad rap from many on this notice board, so those who actually own one of these, what are your suggestions to keep this going! It came with a reasonably complete service history (at least the past 3 years and serviced every 6 months or so), and had repairs done to suspension and drive train. Cheers

wimwom, Oct 22, 1:25am
Have the cooling system serviced including the removal of it's radiator and it stripped down and cleaned out.The biggest killer of mitsi diesels is overheating!

mugenb20b, Oct 22, 1:32am
I don't own one but that doesn't mean I don't know what's required to keep them going. The 4M40 is a good engine and will last well with regular servicing. Also, don't use cheap after market glow plugs. They'll eat those every 6 months. Neglected engines will have oil leaks.

So, all I can say is, keep it serviced, get the radiator rodded out and hopefully it will last a while.

Check brake calliper slides, they seize up really badly.

mugenb20b, Oct 22, 1:32am
Snap.

haventrader, Oct 22, 3:05am
Thanks guys. Just checking service history. Radiator was removed and cooling system serviced 09/2011. Its done another 10,000 since then. Got underneath this afternoon (oh what joy to have a day off!), and no oil leaks! Might just hold onto this a while longer. Cheers