Rover V8

lara.in.ch-ch, Oct 27, 9:57am
I havea Landrover Series 3 with a 3.5 Litre Rover V8. I want to crank it up and make it sound throaty. Ive always liked the sound of Ford T Buckets no matter what type of engines they are have in them. Does anyone know if you can get one of these Rover 3.5 Litre V8's sounding like a T Bucket ! also are T Buckets exhausts just straight through exhaust pipes !

whqqsh, Oct 27, 6:25pm
lake pipes on a Landy, interesting look

rob_man, Oct 27, 6:50pm
A set of headers and a 450cfm Holley would be a start, they can sound pretty throaty and get better economy.

budgel, Oct 27, 9:13pm
If your exhaust has a resonater in it, start by removing that.

wind.turbine, Oct 27, 10:52pm
there is a cheaper way.
cake mud on exhaust and leave it on it for months or drive it through mud everyday.
then once rusted through put a female in it to drive it.
after you do that it does not tend to last long :)
then once they have completely ripped the whole exhaust off then you will have a real nice V8 sound:D
We had a series 3 that mum used to use to get around our 600 caw farm and took her a few months to break the exhaust clean in half.
welded a patch over it and that lasted a while then blew another hole in it.
thyen we got an ex army stage 1 with V8 engine and the exhaust lasted 5 months.
she was driving along the race one day and the front of the muffler already had a hole in it but this day it gave up completely.
broke around the front of muffler then fell down, hit the ground.
and we all know what happened next.
very fast, cost free removal of the muffler and the whole back section of the exhaust.
now you just about need to wear earmuffs when using it lol.

wind.turbine, Oct 27, 10:54pm
so basically land rovers are fun but their exhausts have a life span of about 2 years if you use it is wet conditions all the time like land rovers a made to handle

lara.in.ch-ch, Oct 28, 12:10am
Thanks for your comment. Sorry im not the most mechancial. But someone once told me that a set of headers/ extractors doesnt make any difference to the sound is this not correct ! and could you explain how a 450cfm Holley makes it sound more grunty would be greatly appreicated.

lara.in.ch-ch, Oct 28, 12:11am
yeh thats what id like to do.

lara.in.ch-ch, Oct 28, 12:14am
Couple of links off youtube that i have found 4wds that i like the sound of. Does anyone know if its possible to get a Landrover factory V8to sound like the Jeep ! love that sound its a real V8 sound and also the other one.

lara.in.ch-ch, Oct 28, 12:14am

lara.in.ch-ch, Oct 28, 12:15am

rob_man, Oct 28, 1:31am
The factory carbs (or injection) are not very responsive to the throttle from low revs and take a little while to gather their skirts as a rule. A 4 barrel would give you a more blippy throttle response and some under bonnet induction noise to add to the mix.
On reflection a set of headers probably wouldn't make a lot of difference, a more open exhaust system would be better.

lara.in.ch-ch, Oct 28, 1:37am
Hi Rob do you know how or can recommend anything to get a Landrover V8 to sound like in either youtube link preferablly like the Jeep

splinter67, Oct 28, 1:40am
take the baby v8 out put a chev motor in it then it will not only sound grunty it will be grunty easy fix

lara.in.ch-ch, Oct 28, 1:45am
my budget at the moment is only for a new exhaust system. plus ecomonically the wee rover v8 is pretty good. but i couldnt agree with you more if love to have a big chev v8 in it. but would love someones advise on how to make mine sound the jeeps or the other the landrover in either of the you tube links. i dont want to have a truck exhaust like in the landrovers youtube link

lara.in.ch-ch, Oct 28, 5:00am
anyone got any ideas on how to achieve the sound in the youtube links.

berg, Oct 28, 6:54am
Big bore pipes, no mufflers and no balance pipe

lara.in.ch-ch, Oct 28, 6:57am
Thanks for your answer. But im not the most mechanically minded can you please explain what you mean

berg, Oct 28, 7:04am
Set of headers into custom pipes without mufflers or without a pipe that runs between the left engine bank exhaust and the right bank exhaust.
Not really going to fly in NZ as it would be too loud (and trust me, you'd be sick of driving it within a week) and very droney when normally driving. Take it to an exhaust place and see what they recommend.

bellky, Oct 29, 12:34am
Take a muffler out at a time and replace with pipe - stop when too loud.

elect70, Oct 29, 3:17am
Pretty rightmy discogets used on the beach a lot & exhaust had cats cut out 2 years agobut the replacementreasonators haverotted through