SINKBACK, the scourge of painters, your advice on

Page 2 / 2
brad166, Nov 6, 8:22pm
Also Mirka makes a decent one for $550 that comes with a self contained vacuum hose and bag

rob_man, Nov 6, 8:33pm
I just bought an AEG one off here for $189 new. It works a treat and I'm running that Rupes vacuum that somebody started a thread about a couple of months ago for $50.
Sorted.

gunhand, Nov 6, 10:52pm
I mentioned them on here a few times and posted a link to the sight, I got one and it is as good if not better than the expensive machines. For $189 ya cant go wrong. Only real fault is the exhaust is a bit bulky. I use it for wet sanding up tp knocking of bog. The 2 rotation sizes really helps.

rob_man, Nov 7, 12:00am
If you take the filter off the exhaust there's a collar in there that the Rupes vacuum hose fits straight on if you take the end off it. Haven't tried the two rotation thing yet, maybe I should have read the little book.

gunhand, Nov 7, 1:30am
Assuming it is the same one there is a red push through switch in the handlethat makes it 3mm to 5mmthen 5mm to 8mm swirl pattern. On the higher it get quite nasty for knocking bog off lol.
They dont seem to have any listed at the mo.
tossed the filter on day one lol, quite a large coller but yea it has an inner type one to a.

singing1, Nov 7, 1:59am
Sinkback comes, in my humble opinion, from to much "wetting" of undercoats and topcoats. My theory is that the solvent melts and swells the finishes underneath and sucks back down over a period of time. Back when Dinosaurs roamed the earth we would use a primer called Capriprime. It was a two pack Lusteroid green sealer. It worked well and sealed any old finish from affecting your topcoat. Can't be sure if it is available still as I have been out of the trade for a bit.

singing1, Nov 7, 2:03am
Way back, even when buffing, Dulon, one had to be careful not to create to much heat on the surface as it would also make the surface sinkback after a week or so.

rob_man, Nov 7, 2:25am
An impervious sealer or primer is all very nice to prevent the solvents from the topcoats penetrating the substrate but it's the solvents from the earlier stages that get trapped inside the sealer and take much longer to escape that give long term sinkage in a lot of cases. In an ideal situation you feather stuff out nicely and apply the right amount of primer/surfacer and leave it overnight before sanding and 99% of the time it's just fine but Gunhand's talking about those times when no matter what you do the edges come back to haunt you. Making a lacquer sandwich with impervious materials on both sides isn't the answer.

lookoutas, Nov 7, 5:42am
Time

gunhand, Nov 7, 6:56am
Disagree, have had cars sitting in primer for weeks (dry area) but it still happens.

rob_man, Nov 7, 7:08am
We all know time stands still in Invercargill.

gunhand, Feb 7, 8:56am
EXXCCUUSSSSSSEME,GORE thankyou, LOL.