RApir costs - Coolant pipe / cold start valve

sakofan, Oct 30, 7:07am
Hi all.

An associate of mine bought a 96 Imprezza HX. Ran fine for the last few months, then it started steaming from the engine.

They took it in for repair and could see that there was some sort of coolant piping problem. Decides to check out the breaks and fluids as well.

Anyway, repair bill comes in at $900 incl. GST and breaks down as:

Brake inspection: Brakes all OK
Replace wiper blade refills
Replace coolant pipe under inlet manifold
Replace broken cold start valve

Pipe $250
Labour $405
Sealant $15.25
Inlet Manifold gasket: $85
Hose Clamp x3 $8.25
Freight charges $12
Consumables & Recycling $10
Cold Start Valve $95
Wiper refills $19.50

Apart from the usual charges for freight and fluids, and"Consumables & Recycling" (why is the customer paying for this!) is the bill overly expensive!

a $250 coolant pipe seems excessive. I can see the labour, given it has been fitted with a boxer engine, but $400+ still seems high

TIA!

mugenb20b, Oct 30, 8:30am
Depends on the charge out rate. The jobs may have taken 4 hours @ $100/h.

$250 for a coolant pipe! That's about right, some cost over $400.

Consumables & Recycling. That's a flash name for rags, sealers, nuts & bolts, washers etc. It's a good and common money maker on larger jobs. Most garages do this, but some simply inflate the prices a bit rather than pointing it out on the bill.

make_a_bid, Oct 30, 8:36am
some of the coolant pipes run under the intake mainfold and the only way to get to the pipes to be fixed is to remove the intake manifold, so looking the the invoice for intake manifold gasket i would say this is what needed to be done, which pipe was replaced! that can get up in price

jason18, Oct 30, 8:53am
At the end of the day 900 bucks to do all that is cheaper than an engine replacement etc.Seems expensive but those boxer engines can be tight biiches to work on

unbeatabull, Oct 30, 9:10am
If it is the coolant pipe I am thinking off that runs behind the cambelt and under the intake manifold, 4 hours labour is a damn quick time to get the job done in!

incar., Oct 30, 9:58am
have you done any! 2 hrs and $15 for inlet gaskets- retail